Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried both on their 30 day trials. As a quick summary of my thoughts, Aperture is a very thorough program with a great file management system and integration with iLife. In many ways it's more than I need. Lightroom is much easier to use, It's easier to perform standard edits to my photos but lacks the integration with iLife, specifically iWeb. For what it's worth i primarily live in iPhoto but see the need to move beyond that. I have Photoshop Elements and use it for 'heavy lifting'.

For the rest of you what are your thoughts or what have you decided between these two programs?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I went the Lightroom route simply because Aperture's specs are beyond my system. That being said, I really like it. I like the interface, but the lack of iLife integration is my only problem with it. I still use iPhoto to store all of my photos, and being able to just pick and album to bring into Lightroom would be nice.

G

·
Lightroom fan here. Aperture grinds my powerbook to a halt.

Also Lightroom has some killer features that Aperture doesn't have, like targetted adjustment mode, and the grayscale mixer ... those 2 features alone totally changed the way I think about "developing" my digital photos.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
You may not 'need' either, or benefit from them.
What type of photography do you enjoy (I am assuming you are not a pro)?
How many images do you have in your library, and roughly how many would you shoot in a year?
Do you output to print and/ or web? If you print, do you do so yourself?
Do you shoot RAW (not in the raw, though if you do that might limit your photographic opportunities :cool: ).

If you were to use either, it's a simple matter to move images you want to use in iLife to iPhoto.

What limitations are you experiencing with your current iPhoto / PSE combo? Put another way, what gains are you expecting or hoping for?

One of the challenges with digital photography is that it is easy to be distracted away from the photography itself into the digital realm, the managing of your pixels. There is always a newer, better app or camera out there, etc. By identifying your needs it is simpler to make a decision that is most effective for you - with the ultimate goal being to make managing and editing images easy, so leaving more time for what really matters - making the photos in the first place.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Personally I use Lightroom which at least runs on my slowly antiquating Powerbook (1 Ghz, 768 MB). I've never had a chance to try Aperture if only because I don't have access to a machine that can run it - I just find having switched to shooting RAW dealing with my photos is a lot more fun in Lightroom than say iPhoto despite it being slower (the whole rendering RAW versus showing a JPEG being the main issue).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I tried both and went with Aperture. I liked them both, but since my new iMac runs Aperture very well, and the integration with iLife, I went with Aperture.
They are both very good programs; the deciding factor (tough decision) was iLife integration.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
I use Elements. Makes filing, back-up and archiving a lot easier; For archiving I just copy my years photos to a CD. One folder with subfolders for Originals, another for photos I have printed. The working folder is not archived as these files are all PSD format. Back-ups go straight to memory stick and external drive, no need to back-up entire system or personal account.:D

I use iPhoto mainly to create short slide shows. If I have to reinstall the system I just create new slide shows after the reinstall.

BTW Preview is great for the initial sort, Handles 10 or 20 images at a time, rejects can be trashed from within Preview.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I forgot to add that I plumped for Lightroom, though I am still in the learning stage. I found these tutorials a huge help:

http://luminous-landscape.com/videos/LR-V1.shtml

They were put together by accomplished photographers who were part of the beta process.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What type of photography do you enjoy (I am assuming you are not a pro)? How many images do you have in your library, and roughly how many would you shoot in a year?

Do you output to print and/ or web? If you print, do you do so yourself?
Do you shoot RAW (not in the raw, though if you do that might limit your photographic opportunities :cool: ).

What limitations are you experiencing with your current iPhoto / PSE combo? Put another way, what gains are you expecting or hoping for?
Pelao - good questions and thoughts. I'm by no means a power user or pro photographer. I've always enjoyed photography but I took it up a notch when the kids were born and when I got a new DSLR. I enjoy taking shots of the kids, outdoor photography, and travel stuff. I take about 300 - 500 shots per month and have been shooting in RAW since Apple and Adobe provided support for the Nikon D40.

I don't print all that much and when I do I usually send out to London Drugs. I post my best pics to a family website via iWeb and I also use Flickr.

The main reason for wanting to step up to a pro app is being able to do regional edits instead of global edits on a given photo. I never really got all that comfortable with Photoshop Elements and want a simpler interface for adjusting white balance, exposure, sharpening, and making spot colour adjustments.

Maybe my situation isn't all that different from many of you? Anyway, I'll continue to monitor the comments and may even wait to see what the next iPhoto / iLife brings. It's all good for now but I know that the day is soon coming where I'll need and want more.

G

·
I forgot to add that I plumped for Lightroom, though I am still in the learning stage. I found these tutorials a huge help:

http://luminous-landscape.com/videos/LR-V1.shtml

They were put together by accomplished photographers who were part of the beta process.
I was the video editor for those tutorials :)

Know them very well and they are _well_ worth the $$ if you're interested in Lightroom at all, I think they are on sale for only $15 right now too :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also Lightroom has some killer features that Aperture doesn't have, like targetted adjustment mode, and the grayscale mixer ... those 2 features alone totally changed the way I think about "developing" my digital photos.
Aperture has a greyscale mixer btw.

I am an avid user of Aperture because I find the more suitable to metataging and organizing projects.

There are lot of wrong assumption about Aperture because too many of the features werent present in v1, but the latest version is a huge improvement, both in functionnality and performance.

Both LR and Aperture have free try outs, see by yourself!

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I was the video editor for those tutorials
Hey, that's cool - good work! :clap:

I like the style of Reichman's Video Journal and the tutorials. It's relaxed, and focuses on the photography rather than the technology. Plus, he's a great photographer, a nice guy and Canadian....

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are shooting with a Nikon D40 have you thought about giving Nikon Capture NX a try? It now supports Intel Macs and allows regional corrections. You can download a 30 day trial from the Nikon support pages. I just started to try it before I went for shoulder surgery and know I have to do everything one handed (haven't quite figured out how to handle my d70s with one hand yet).

G

·
Agreed - that is cool. Good for you.
Just curious, what program(s) did you primarily use for editing?
Final Cut Pro for the video components. The screen captures in the tutorials were all done with Snapz Pro and processed with Adobe After Effects (scaling and cropping) and then imported into FCP for final editing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts