1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

A word of caution for the "idol doubters".

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
There are many good voices out there. Now as for songwriting...
Thats what I think! Lots of people can sing, but thats not really where the talent is in music, at least for me, its the lyrics. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young are all not singers, but fantastic writers. Give me a bad singer with their "own" lyrics over someone who has a good voice.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

A word of caution for the "idol doubters".
or as Edward G. Robinson in "The 10 Commandments" put it;
"Where's your messiah now?"
:D

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
If you still don't think there is truly astounding totally undiscovered talent......this may just change your mind.
Sure there is a lot of great talent out there - but how far will they go on a vacuous show like American/Canadian Idol?

We all know you get a hard-on for these Idol people but most of the music that comes out from the winners and "close enough" makes Celine look great....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
"...or as Edward G. Robinson in "The 10 Commandments" put it;
"Where's your messiah now?"" Charlton Heston showed him. From his cold dead hands would they pry the stone tablets. Paix, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to believe ANOTHER stunner from the same crowd......hanky time again...but very different.

The six-year old angel who may earn £1m as the next Charlotte Church | the Daily Mail

The Queen WILL be amused I'm sure.

She received a standing ovation and left the programme's three judges, Cowell, Amanda Holden and Piers Morgan, speechless.

On Saturday night, viewers and the trio of panellists will vote to decide if Connie makes it through to the following evening's studio final for the chance to sing in front of the Queen at the Royal Variety Show and win £100,000.

"This girl is just special," Cowell told the Mail last night. "I have never felt such a powerful silence in my life as when Connie sang. It was pure magic.

"She's all over the world at the moment, this girl - she's the number one clip on YouTube, for instance - and that's a worldwide number one.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks - I'd love to be watching anyone know the satellite channels?

••••

AS - do you actually follow Idol or are making a comment on perception of Fox as a whole??

I'm not sure what the "how far can you go" comment is about but some of the talent discovered has gone about as far as it's possible to go in the entertainment industry in terms of awards even including an Academy award, from poverty to a Broadway star and to setting records on iTunes worldwide.

Is it high art, no, entertaining to millions including myself.....damned right and for good reason.

You ask how far???... that 6 year old may earn millions for her family...and our opera singer may fulfill a dream.....earn a dream with his talent....and no little help from the Idol community.

Find the voices, groom them and see where it takes the singers and performers.
I don't even like 90% of the music on the show and few of the performances.....I love the back stories.....and the occasional brilliant unscriptable moment like the opera singing cellphone salesman with a dream and the talent to go with it.

Nice to hear the judges acknowledge him once again and how he fulfills their dreams for the show of finding an everyday guy with an incredible talent and helping him realize its potential.

The video clip of him chatting about finding solace in his singing despite being a bit "different" was very moving. :clap:

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
AS - do you actually follow Idol or are making a comment on perception of Fox as a whole??
Yes I’ve “followed” some American/Canadian Idol (mostly because some in the family watch it). The point is that it’s not necessarily the best talent that will win, nor the best voice, nor the best look. In fact, most of what comes out of the Idol series is rather disposable. Last season, they did have one fellow (I think his father had been a singer/dancer) who had a great voice and some “soul” – I think he was dropped rather quickly…

As for the winners and runner ups, seems that being a show-biz creation has not really helped most of them. Yes you have the occasional single on the pop charts but overall Idols remain pablum for the masses, mindless entertainment and like most items having mass appeal, rather generic and void of much substance.

MacDoc, I think that FOX is a great network that has brought many good shows over the years. Foxnews is something else.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
As for the winners and runner ups, seems that being a show-biz creation has not really helped most of them. Yes you have the occasional single on the pop charts but overall Idols remain pablum for the masses, mindless entertainment and like most items having mass appeal, rather generic and void of much substance.
Here I thought Kelly Clarkson was the exception

Singer Kelly Clarkson has been forced to scrap her U.S. tour due to poor ticket sales. The American Idol winner, who fired her manager this week, was due to hit the road next month. Clarkson writes on her website: "I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to getting out there to perform for y'all... It really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer."

Poor Ticket Sales Force Kelly Clarkson To Cancel Her Tour - Starpulse News Blog

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As for the winners and runner ups, seems that being a show-biz creation has not really helped most of them.
Umm I think you need to try and defend that......most have some sort of career in music and a few spectacular ones.

Carry Underwood, Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia exceptional......Chris Daughtry seems well on his way,

Of course popularity will wane as it does with nearly all entertainers.

It IS pop entertainment - you can turn up your nose all you want but the truth is there is a huge market and Idol is a driving force in bringing new talent to light and marketing them.

Just the top group
Clarkson has sold close to 10 million albums
Underwood almost 6 million on her debut
Clay Aiken almost 5 million in total

and there are others in the 100s of thousands in album sales.
American Idol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say it's a pretty solid and growing media industry - 100 nations with many offering their own versions.
The aspect of digital sales generated I find very intriguing.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Umm I think you need to try and defend that......most have some sort of career in music and a few spectacular ones.

Carry Underwood, Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia exceptional......Chris Daughtry seems well on his way,

It IS pop entertainment - you can turn up your nose all you want but the truth is there is a huge market and Idol is a driving force in bringing new talent to light and marketing them.
Most Idols seem to have to work very hard to break the pigeonholed mold that seems imposed and peter out after an album or two.
Fantasia has done well but has not lived to what her potential was supposed to be. Her first album for average at best, the second one a little better but still very far from good.
Rubben, has gone from bad to worse in his three album. A gospel album, why?
Clay Aiken, you know your career has tanked when you put out a x-mas album…
Carrie Underwood, well here we have what maybe an exception. She only has one album out but it’s critically better than most amidol stuff.
Kelly Clarkson, apart from her movie disaster, her albums are good for her demographics but with little long term impact….

Most of these idols remind me of Sheena Easton, a product of another TV show (The Big Time: Pop Singer) in the sense that they are utterly forgettable and interchangeable with little long term impact.
You enjoy the entertainment – that’s fine – but why are you always trying to elevate it beyond what it really is?
I enjoy Hell’s Kitchen* but I realize that it’s contrived and that the end prize is not what is advertised for the contestants. I have the feeling that’s it the same for Idols…

*I prefer “The F-word” and “Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares”

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And you could chart the same path for any number of artists.
They had their chance - pop is fickle at best.

at least these had their chance.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts