Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a place to get free fonts for the Mac? I've been looking around, but have yet to find any site offering them.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I was looking for free fonts as well. I found some by using Google (free mac fonts).

Acid fonts.com etc, have a lot of free stuff for the Mac. Tons of cookies, though.

No URL's, sorry. Use Google...you'll find plenty of them.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll give those sites a check.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Keep in mind that with OSX, you don't need Apple TrueType fonts.
You can install Mac versions of TrueType, OpenType or Postscript fonts, OSX's new .dfont format, as well as Windows TrueType and OpenType fonts.
Font smoothing of PostScript fonts onscreen or to non-postscript printers, which used to require ATM, is built into OSX.
It should be noted that to use all the features of OpenType fonts, you need an aware application (such as InDesign). Typical features that will be missing from non-aware applications are things like small capitals and some ligatures.

So to search for free fonts, take "Mac" out of your Google criteria and see what comes up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Something I just learned. OpenType are non-platform specific fonts usable in OS 9 or X. As well, in OS X, you don't need to have them loose, they can be put into subfolders.

Plus, for Truetype Mac Fonts, you can't beat the variety at 1001 Free Fonts (Mac Site).

:cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Ahhh.... The font issue was always an open book for me. I never knew the whole deal. I had onced installed ATM on my iMac and saw the whole thing just freeze badly. I took it out, and swore that i would never again. I had also read that you could install Windows fonts --> so that is true?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
Keep in mind that with OSX, you don't need Apple TrueType fonts.
You can install Mac versions of TrueType, OpenType or Postscript fonts, OSX's new .dfont format, as well as Windows TrueType and OpenType fonts.
Font smoothing of PostScript fonts onscreen or to non-postscript printers, which used to require ATM, is built into OSX.
It should be noted that to use all the features of OpenType fonts, you need an aware application (such as InDesign). Typical features that will be missing from non-aware applications are things like small capitals and some ligatures.

So to search for free fonts, take "Mac" out of your Google criteria and see what comes up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
I had also read that you could install Windows fonts --> so that is true?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. True Type fonts for PC are different. However, I do know there are converter programs out there to make a Mac version, but their success is sometimes spotty.

There are basically 3 kinds of Fonts.

T1 (Type 1) consisted of 2 types of files. Screen Fonts (Bitmap) and Outline Fonts (Printer). Often referred to as Postscript.

These files are individual based on sizes. So inside the font "suitcase" would be a variety of common font sizes (8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72) and each "file" would be one of these sizes. Mix "Bold" & "Italic" and you have a whole slew of individual files for 1 Font.

True Type: (TT) These files contain all font sizes (But not necessarily all formats, such as Bold or Italic). These True Types are scaleable in size and will provide Screen and Printer information in the single file. The Mac versions do not work on a PC and the Windows versions won't work on a Mac.

Open Type: (OTF) These are the newest type. Not platform specific but otherwise much like the True Type font.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
"... Nope. True Type fonts for PC are different. However, I do know there are converter programs out there to make a Mac version, but their success is sometimes spotty. ..."

Ah, yes, in OS9.

OSX supports Windows TrueType & OpenType fonts. Drop 'em in the fonts folder and type away.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strongblade:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
[qb] I had also read that you could install Windows fonts --> so that is true?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. True Type fonts for PC are different. However, I do know there are converter programs out there to make a Mac version, but their success is sometimes spotty.
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that hasn't been true since MacOS 8. I know MacOS X can use Windows .ttf files (TrueType Fonts), and I believe MacOS 9 can too.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
OK.... there seems to be some confusion here. One thing that i know, i that issues with fonts are crippling. I recall my dilemma, so I have been quite conservative in my usage.

Can I, or can I not use ttf fonts in Jaguar??? I've never known Gordguide to be off with statements...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Gord coming on point (and cick) once again. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts