Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so like, I have tons of fonts that I use at work, the trouble is, I have a lot of overlapping fonts and fonts that are from the same family, but .

Is there a tool that can help me consolidate these fonts into folders so I can better organize them and get rid of extras?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I was working at my co-op place I sometimes had to sue Quark (which I hated but that's anotehr topic), any way, they had an app called Symantec Suitcase. This was used to organize fonts into various folder. Depending on what project you were working on, you could just load that folder of fonts. I don't even know of this app is still around but I'm sure it wasn'tthat cheap.

You can try Adobe Type Manager, if they still give that away for free? I think these apps might help for what you're looking for but I'm not 100%.

Also, I know that in Windows, the more fonts your system has on, it can slow down your machine, at least on start up. Is this the same for Macs?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are you in OS 9 or OS X?

If you are in OS 9 I would get Adobe font manager deluxe.

If you are in OS X I would recomend, Font Reserve as you number 1 choice, and as a second choice I would recomend Extensis Suitcase 10.

I have used both Font Reserve and Suitcase, and I much prefer Font Reserve.

I beleive both companies offer some sort of 30 day demo software.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick:
Are you in OS 9 or OS X?

If you are in OS 9 I would get Adobe font manager deluxe.

If you are in OS X I would recomend, Font Reserve as you number 1 choice, and as a second choice I would recomend Extensis Suitcase 10.

I have used both Font Reserve and Suitcase, and I much prefer Font Reserve.

I beleive both companies offer some sort of 30 day demo software.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in both OS 9 and X... I have ATM Deluxe, and Suitcase and neither offer the type of tools I need.

The folder organization in both ATM & Suitcase only organize the fonts "internally" -- ie: within the utilities themselves not "physically" (does that make sense?).

I need to physically move the fonts into their own folders so they are better organized on my HD. As far as I know, ATM and Suitcase can only remove duplicates. Does Font Reserve do this?

Thanks to all who responded!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
No font reserve does not do this.

You will have to manually do it unforchanatly. :(

I would recomend deleting all true type fonts, and only using ones that you know are good and from a safe souce (ie. the adobe font folio) Nothing I know of can cause more frustration than fonts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm still using a mixture of Type 1, TrueType and .dfont fonts and they all work well in Suitcase. The trick seems to first organise your fonts into appropriate 'sets' (for particular jobs, etc.) and then activate or deactivate set(s) as the need arises. But plan carefully where you are going to put these sets--and watch out for all the various Library>Fonts folders! Right now I have a folder called 'My Fonts' where all my sets live.

To see more about fonts in OS X, take a look at http://www.extensis.com/products/2d.html

Suitcase works well for me right now but I'm not sure if it's the best font manager available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts