Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Now that I have my Dual 1 gig system up and running, I wanted to share my first experiences with the system. I am using Mac OS X (but not Jaguar). The systems boots up so quickly, much quicker than when I used OS 9.2. (and much quicker than my PC, celeron 400 using Windows 98). Shut down is also so quick compared to my pc. I pretty much just blink and the Mac shuts down! So far the OS has been very stable. Did find it a bit slow when copying a music cd onto the hard drive, it actually took about 3-4 minutes, thought it should be faster than that.

I've started using iMovie and transferred 3 hours of video onto the Mac, it was amazingly easy. Still getting the hang of the software, but rendering times are pretty quick.

Tried playing some dvds as well and they looked great.

Well that's all I've used it for so far.

When I do upgrade to Jaguar, will I have to do anything to keep my current iMovie files? Do I need to back them up and then put them back on the hard drive after installing Jag?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by r2traps:
Did find it a bit slow when copying a music cd onto the hard drive, it actually took about 3-4 minutes, thought it should be faster than that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you buy it standard with a superdrive? I've heard comments that the superdrive (CD-r/CD-RW/DVD-R) is slow at reading/writing CDs, and that the combo drive (CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-ROM) or CD-RW drive are faster. I bought my DP800 with a combo drive since I didn't need to write DVDs.

Is it one of the new DP1GHz machines with the DDR RAM and 167Mhz front-side bus.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My systemm came with the Superdrive so that might be the reason. No, it's not the new DP1GHz machine with the DDR RAM and 167Mhz front-side bus.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
r2traps, when you upgrade to Jaguar, just take the Archive and Install option and check the box to retain preferences. The alternatives are to do a clean install (which wipes the drive) or just upgrade which replaces the updated files. Only if you do a clean install will you need to make a backup of your movies. There is no change in format or version for iMovie in going from 10.1.x to 10.2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts