Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that a 400 Mbps/sec FireWire port on a PCI card in a 33 MHz PCI slot doesn't nearly perform as well as a 400 Mbps/sec FireWire port on the logicboard (because apparently, the FireWire port runs at the speed of the processor on the logic board, but only at 33 MHz in a PCI slot).

Is this fully true?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Lars wrote:
"I was told that a 400 Mbps/sec FireWire port on a PCI card in a 33 MHz PCI slot doesn't nearly perform as well as a 400 Mbps/sec FireWire port on the logicboard."

A FireWire port on a PCI card should perform about as well as FireWire port on the
logicboard, most of the time. The problem is that the FireWire port on the PCI card has to contend with other devices on the PCI bus for bandwidth, while the FireWire port on the logic card does not, so if the PCI bus is busy, then the FireWire port might not be able to provide 400Mbps.

"(because apparently, the FireWire port runs at the speed of the processor on the logic board, but only at 33 MHz in a PCI slot)."

That's just wrong.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:

"(because apparently, the FireWire port runs at the speed of the processor on the logic board, but only at 33 MHz in a PCI slot)."

That's just wrong.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I barely beleived it myself.

Thanks for the clarifications, jfpoole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts