Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
What system is it running? 9 or X primarily?

I would have to assume that at least part of the problem is an errant app (more than likely outlook) accessing the drive for some reason or another. FireWire is not controlled by the computers CPU, do it would more likely be a disk access issue than anything else I can think of right now.
Explorer is a poorly written app under either OS (although the Mac version is apparantly siginifgantly more standards compliant than its PC counterpart), and has documented memory leaks and other problems. The memory leak in caused by explorer is cumulative and can affect other running apps (especially under OS 9, with its unprotected RAM). The least painful solution is to quit and restart Explorer every once and a while, when between tasks.

Outlook is an app I have very limited experience with, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that for some reason it would be accessing the other drive, or even causing something else to access the drive. It is also possible that the above mentioned problems with IE are affecting Outlook.

What other apps do you usually have running? Any third party extensions/haxies/skins/etc/ that could be causing the problems?

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Nope, I didn't miss it, It just wasn;t clear which OS you were having troubles in.

Have you tried shutting down some of the other apps that are running? Who knows, something else could be affecting it as well.

--PB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.