Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect the same. I think there is a deep dark Microsloth hook between Explorer and Outlook.
I run on 9 ( guess you missed the earlier X versus 9 debate ) but I have found Explorer to get sluggish on X as well after a full day.
I use a RAM disk to cache and that helps but I suspect I may just have too many windows open on both programs.
I'll typically have 15-20 apps and utilities open at once as well as simultaneous faxing printing and emailing going on.
I find the more RAM I allocate to IE the longer I can go without a noticeable degradation.
Theother side is that both are accessing the net all the tme and I understand that the connection to the server can get sluggish..not that I understand why - sometimes a new "lease: through the router works wonders.
Ah hell it's cheap I'm going to allocate 200 megs of RAM to both Outlook and IE and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I use a Cube with a big FW backup drive that is generally always connected and on for backup.
I was cleaning things up tonight, putting in a new USB hub and an iMic and fired up without the external on.
Seems to make the Cube way more responsive and I'll be damned if I know why.
It's as if something was accessing the FW drive a lot slowing things down.
One clue... Outlook came up saying it couldn't find the dictionary for spell checking. I wonder if somehow Outlook was accessing the external drive.

The other thing that bothers me with Outlook and especially Explorer seem to slow down over a days work - sometimes to a real crawl. Shutdown, wait a few minutes and it's back up to speed.

Any thoughts on either situation?/ It's become very noticeable now the Cube is at 800 mHz.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep guilty as charges
love that confused emoticon.
We think it's just a tad too high price- we are going to try a 700 mHz version.
The two things that really make a Cube sing are the 8 meg cache WD drive and a 32 meg nVidia ( I have a 64 meg nVidia we are trying see it we can get into the Cube :eek: )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.