Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect the same. I think there is a deep dark Microsloth hook between Explorer and Outlook.
I run on 9 ( guess you missed the earlier X versus 9 debate ) but I have found Explorer to get sluggish on X as well after a full day.
I use a RAM disk to cache and that helps but I suspect I may just have too many windows open on both programs.
I'll typically have 15-20 apps and utilities open at once as well as simultaneous faxing printing and emailing going on.
I find the more RAM I allocate to IE the longer I can go without a noticeable degradation.
Theother side is that both are accessing the net all the tme and I understand that the connection to the server can get sluggish..not that I understand why - sometimes a new "lease: through the router works wonders.
Ah hell it's cheap I'm going to allocate 200 megs of RAM to both Outlook and IE and see what happens.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I use a Cube with a big FW backup drive that is generally always connected and on for backup.
I was cleaning things up tonight, putting in a new USB hub and an iMic and fired up without the external on.
Seems to make the Cube way more responsive and I'll be damned if I know why.
It's as if something was accessing the FW drive a lot slowing things down.
One clue... Outlook came up saying it couldn't find the dictionary for spell checking. I wonder if somehow Outlook was accessing the external drive.

The other thing that bothers me with Outlook and especially Explorer seem to slow down over a days work - sometimes to a real crawl. Shutdown, wait a few minutes and it's back up to speed.

Any thoughts on either situation?/ It's become very noticeable now the Cube is at 800 mHz.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
What system is it running? 9 or X primarily?

I would have to assume that at least part of the problem is an errant app (more than likely outlook) accessing the drive for some reason or another. FireWire is not controlled by the computers CPU, do it would more likely be a disk access issue than anything else I can think of right now.
Explorer is a poorly written app under either OS (although the Mac version is apparantly siginifgantly more standards compliant than its PC counterpart), and has documented memory leaks and other problems. The memory leak in caused by explorer is cumulative and can affect other running apps (especially under OS 9, with its unprotected RAM). The least painful solution is to quit and restart Explorer every once and a while, when between tasks.

Outlook is an app I have very limited experience with, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that for some reason it would be accessing the other drive, or even causing something else to access the drive. It is also possible that the above mentioned problems with IE are affecting Outlook.

What other apps do you usually have running? Any third party extensions/haxies/skins/etc/ that could be causing the problems?

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Nope, I didn't miss it, It just wasn;t clear which OS you were having troubles in.

Have you tried shutting down some of the other apps that are running? Who knows, something else could be affecting it as well.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Where did you get an 800MHz Cube?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacDaddy:
Where did you get an 800MHz Cube?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's most likely a Cube that's had a G4 800Mhz CPU upgrade with a Sonnet or Powerlogix upgrade.

It's amazing what people can stuff into those Cubes.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts