Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with external FireWire drives (good or bad)? Any recommendations as to which drive to get? I'm thinking of adding some extra space to my PowerBook (too many MP3s).

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got a SkyData 120GB external firewire drive and it's great.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have an iPod (5GB) It's great as a portable HD as well! I've never had a problem with it (okay, so, I could use a 20GB iPod... With all the stuff I store on it, I sometimes run out of space for MUSIC
)

:cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strongblade wrote:
"I have an iPod (5GB) It's great as a portable HD as well! I've never had a problem with it (okay, so, I could use a 20GB iPod... With all the stuff I store on it, I sometimes run out of space for MUSIC)"

I've got a 10GB iPod, and I use maybe a gigabyte or so for data storage, the rest for music. I'd like to get a larger FireWire drive, though, since even a 20GB iPod couldn't store my music collection....

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow... I recall the days when all we had was a 90 min CrO2 to record with (maybe 100 if we were lucky). Now, 20Gigs of space does not do the trick on a walkman. LOL....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Strongblade wrote:
"I have an iPod (5GB) It's great as a portable HD as well! I've never had a problem with it (okay, so, I could use a 20GB iPod... With all the stuff I store on it, I sometimes run out of space for MUSIC)"

I've got a 10GB iPod, and I use maybe a gigabyte or so for data storage, the rest for music. I'd like to get a larger FireWire drive, though, since even a 20GB iPod couldn't store my music collection....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
154 Posts
WOW!, i haven't posted in almost 4 months, good to be back tho, lol :D

Anyway, My teacher has a LacIe 120GB External Firewire Hard Drive, and that thing is the bomb!. You can even Target the drive to boot a mac thats not working.

Good To Be Back!

Eric Condon
PowerBook 5300C 100 MHz, 36MB, 1 GB Hard Drive

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm currently using an old IDE drive in a ADS firewire case with my TI Powerbook. It works like a charm but is sure as heck not portable. I'm in Bath UK right now and would sure love to have one of those cute little iPods for truly portable storage.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm currently using an old IDE drive in a ADS firewire case with my TI Powerbook. It works like a charm but is sure as heck not portable. I'm in Bath UK right now and would sure love to have one of those cute little iPods for truly portable storage.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have an 80 GB Maxtor firewire drive and I've had some difficulty with it. Seems to be quite fussy about showing up on my hardrive.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sashmo:
I have an 80 GB Maxtor firewire drive and I've had some difficulty with it. Seems to be quite fussy about showing up on my hardrive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bringing this to the top:

I had the same problems. My Maxtoe 20 GB HD also sometimes doesn't appear... is this a Maxtor issue or somehting...?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another Maxtor 80 GB user. Every once in a blue moon it fails to show on booting up. It was the best price at the time I got it, and I was sort of impressed that Maxtor had adequate Mac support on thier web site... oh well. I've never lost any data, and it's almost two years old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 20 GB FireLite drive. It's incredibly easy to use, needs no power supply and fits into an included pouch for transport. You'd want to have your PowerBook plugged into the wall though as I'm guessing it would chew up your battery.

·
Registered
361 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ekcondon:
... a LacIe 120GB External Firewire Hard Drive, and that thing is... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm looking at the LaCie's too, nice drives with *nice* prices. Our Mac tech at work used one on my machine once and it looked like a good thing to have. The thing burns it up like no other, great speed.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Just a reminder.
ALL Firewire drives are standard ata drives either
2.5" ( Pocket drives - bus powerd )
3.5" - standard internal ata drives that require ac power
Early on ( Maxtor notably) there were differences in the chipsets and some 3.5" drives had problems with their power switches.
These days the 1394 Oxford 911 chipset is a standard and the only variable the case design and the fan setup.
Some 3.5 cases have no fan, some a very small fan that is quiet and some a standard honkin great cooler for the internal powersupply. The trend is to external powersupplies that do not require the big fan and can allow a slimmer case with less noise.
In very high demand situations the fanless cases can allow the drive to overheat.
Some of the external power supply cases have a small fan to offset this still allowing quiet operation but a bit of heat load offset in very high demand situations.
Pocket cases have little to differentiate other than ease of access to the drive to upgrade or and weight.
All use standard 2.5" portable drives. This has been the most relaible category of drive as they are not heat generators and are bus powered.
Speed differences are marginal, warranty differences on the drives themselves can be significant.
After trying several "designer" brands that do not allow access to the internals of the cases and seeing clients lose their warranties because they needed the data off the drive we opted for an openable case so clients could
Upgrade their drives to larger sizes over time
Access their drives if the case blew or the drives needed recovery not accessible through the Firewire port
Allowed choice of drives with the 3 year warranty ( getting rare) and or for various uses.
For instance I employ a cheap quiet 5400 120 for my backup - don't need the speed or noise of a 7200 and the 5400s will run forever.

So consider your options when you buy - there will be simply nothing to choose in speed differences unless you get a 5400 and then it''s marginal.

If you have a sealed case that has to be sent in how are you going to get your data back without losing warranty?

Also, early Firewire buses, B&Ws notably and some early G4s can have mounting issues and 9.2 and X have far better drivers for Firewire.
Some issues show up in audio or DV recording and in data corruption.
ALL Firewire drives should be maintained as they are prone to directory damage.
Firewire is designed to be hot plugged and unplugged ( after dropping the volume off the desktop). Problems seem to arise at times when they are cold plugged and then the drives spun up with the on/off switch. Maxtor eliminated this switch.
Like any drive, critical data needs to be backed up. Don't put your irreplaceable video and audio files in danger because ALL drives fail rom time to time.
At least with an openable case you can often get at your data if a bridge or power supply fails..
We recommend new FW drives be initialized under X with 9 drivers - this is the most reliable method in our experience.
Some drives come PC initialized and because the Mac mounts it it does not get noticed and can cause problems.
It's a good standard getting btter as ata speeds go up.
When Firewire started 13 megs per second were about all you could get and this has improved to over 30 now ( that's megabytes per second not megabits per second which is the standard and misleading number quoted and which is a bandwidth limit not an actual speed)
Our little 40 gig pocket drives are fantastic tools for our techs - they boot 9 or X- even current boxes and we even use them on earlier Macs by putting in a Firewire PCI card ( non bootable :( ) in combination with a bootable CD for recovery situations.

Bottom line .......it's a good interface but it's based on standard technology. Don't get too influenced by claims of proprietary technologies or speeds

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts