Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go out and buy an external Firewire drive for work... So my question is.... what is the best way to format the drive so that I can use it with my Mac and PC? I'll be switch it between the two.

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
If you format it fat32, macs can read that. It's not the bes choice for the mac, but PCs can't read macOS format without a utility like macdrive.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HHHmmmmm why is Fat32 not the best for Macs?

I just went to Best Buy and got a USB2/Firewire Housing and a 120gig 7200 rpm drive.

I need this for video storage that can go back and forth between a PC and a Mac.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
why is Fat32 not the best for Macs?
I could be wrong on this, but I think it's because files stored on this format use more hard drive space than they should - kinda like HFS and not HFS +.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK... really dumb question... and I kind of know the answer already.

So if you have a USB2/Firewire Device... can it be plugged into two controllers at the same time? ie. The PC plugged into the USB2 and the Mac plugged into the FireWire ports at the same time.

I imagine this would be dangerous as the opportunity for conflicts would be high.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i would be nervous about 2 different computers attached to one FW/USB HD

i bet both would fight over it

here's a suggestion

attach the HD to the PC using FW or USB (FW much faster of course)
share the FW/USB HD on the PC
using 100 Base-T cabling and hub/swtich/router/cross-over cable
network the Mac to the PC
download DAVE from www.thursby.com and access the FW/USB drive attached to the PC, from the Mac

i suggest this method since macs play nicer with PCs than PCs play with Macs

let us know how you make out !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts