ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a Firewire 800 external HD case lately. I've notice that it's only available from LaCie. However, i think they are over-price for their products. Plus, i don't think u can buy their smallest firewire 800 external HD, and then change the HD yourself.

I know there are many users here have purchased firewire 400 external HD case from Canada Computer. Most of you purchased Bytecc's case....and then i found out that Bytecc has a Firewire 800 external HD case available. The model number is ME-740 F2U2. I've asked the people in Canada Computer. The guy said he's not sure if we can special order it. I gave him my phone number...but still haven't heard anything back from that guy. Maybe he forgot this already.

But ya, does any one here know where i can get a Firewire 800 external HD case...other than LaCie...

Thank u in advance!!

·
Banned
7,966 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
interact said:
Here's a sexy (and $$$) FW800 solution (I know it's not just the case.)

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/Products.cfm

G-Raid, G-Drive, G-Sata, G-Drive Mini ... very nice look.

Canadian Resellers: http://www.g-technology.com/Purchase/Purchase-CAN.cfm
I have bought a few of those and have a few complains about them:
Cons
- cases are inconsistently put together: skewed to one side
- fan is noisey on G-Raid
- front light is too bright (subjective I know)
- raid 0 (two drives acting as one)

Pros:
- uses Hitachi drives
- the look
- drives are fast even when getting full

Overall, I do recommend them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
ArtistSeries ... good to know. I've been wanting one for a long, long time, but I've never heard feedback on them. Thanks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You can also look at:
http://www.directdial.com/ca/shop/
under "Firewire Products," and then in "Enclosurers" [sic]
There's one by macally for $115, which has USB 2.0, FW400 & FW800. Still not cheap, but at least you can find your own drive (and it's not bad lookin'--which I know is never important ;) )

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
FW800 drive enclosures are available through OWC in the U.S., also check-out http://www.cooldrives.com/cooldrives.com[/url]

I bought this two-drive FW800 RAID enclosure a couple months ago (haven't set it up yet!) for US$130.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
interact said:
I've been wanting one for a long, long time, but I've never heard feedback on them.
You can view other users experience with them at http://www.creativecow.net/ in the G-Tech forum.
There is a rep from G-Tech (Roger Mabon) that will answer questions (but he does ignore criticism).

As for other G-tech products, I would be hesitant to buy the G-Drive mini and G-Drive. On the website, G-Tech goes to great length to point out that heat shortens the life of any hard drive. On the two enclosure mentionned above, the heatsinks are on the bottom of the units. Here on earth, heat rises, so I consider that a poor design choice...

·
Registered
661 Posts
ArtistSeries said:
On the two enclosure mentionned above, the heatsinks are on the bottom of the units. Here on earth, heat rises, so I consider that a poor design choice...
Maybe the heatsinks actually make heat sink? ;)

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G-DRIVE FW (FW 800 & FW 400)....250GB cost $249. I assume that's in American Dolloar...$250 American Dollar is about $309 Canadian Dollar...that's nothing cheaper than LaCie's external HD then....

Can anyone sugguest a more friendly price?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fw 800

FW Cases and their prices are the result of a few VERY important details.
1. Overall case design. (C'mon, you own a Mac, right?)
2. Warranty and how easy it is to repair or replace.
3. Quality of power supply.
4. Most important, CHIP SET. There are multiple FW 800 chip sets available. Each chip set adds 20$-50$ to the overall cost of the case.
We are able to offer a 2 year warranty because we are not skimping on any of these. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
As mentioned, my RAIDable two-bay FW800 enclosure cost US$130 from OWC. That's a reasonable price IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
LaCie

Personally, I have been burned by going cheap. Bottom line... The cheaper you go, the lower the quality. I can personally vouch for the amazing build quality of the LaCie drives. After frying a HD due to a bad case that was overheating drives (a metal/heatsink enclosure at that!), I gave up on going cheap. I own the 250GB FW800. It is VERY VERY VERY well put together compared to other drives/enclosures. It is a good solid sturdy case, and worth every penny IMO.

A7

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok...i guess u guys are right....price equal quality. Maybe it's a good idea for me to buy a Lacie. Just wondering...have any of u guys ever open any LaCie external Hard Drive case and chage the HD inside? I'm wondering if that's possible to do so. If it's possible, i can buy a 160GB one..and later increase the storage to maybe 300GB myself.

Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I was also wondering the same thing about Lacie units, whether or not the drives are user replaceable. I also am curious as to whether they can be laid on their side rather than upright. Anyone?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts