Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got upgraded and now a couple of odd things I'm not happy about that I am hoping someone has a work around for.

1. Toolbar colour KEEPS changing. Even with a theme selected, the colours just keeps switching. All the tabs are light that are not engaged but the tab I'm on will switch colours. I have had everyone thing from the brown (when I started this note) to the blue it just switched to, to red, fluorescent green, orange, purple....etc. Usually it's a dark colour and that makes it had to read my bookmarks.

2. bookmarks.... does multi-row exist anywhere anymore? :-(

Any ideas?

Are you having similar issues?

I've tried going into the settings but it doesn't stay fixed.

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
1. Toolbar colour KEEPS changing.
Don't know what causes the colour change, as I have not seen such issue before. Have you changed to a theme different from the default? I am using a light theme.

2. bookmarks.... does multi-row exist anywhere anymore? :-(
I don't use multi-rows in bookmark toolbar. I know that there are add-ons that create multi-rows bookmark toolbar, such as Classic Theme Restorer (CTR). Unfortunately CTR is not compatible with Firefox Quantum, i.e. FF57 and above. Mozilla drops certain protocols that are crucial to all pre-FF57 add-ons. The codes that make CTR works will never function in FF Quantum and beyond. This kind of customizing the UI is disabled in FF57 and above via old add-ons.

For now the only way to have a multi-row bookmark toolbar is to use a custom style sheet. The replacement of CTR is this CustomCSSforFx. I use it to put the tabs below the bookmark toolbar, just like how tabs used to appear in the very early days of Firefox. I also choose to have the active tab in a different background colour and the only tab with a border.

In the Download section of the above site, click on the first link "Classic Theme Restorer / ... CSS tweaks for Firefox 57+". This will take you to a different page with the link to various versions of the CSS. I am running v.1.6.7.1.

I am not a programmer. Initially it took me several hours to understand how to change the codes in the CSS template. Once I got the UI to the state that I liked, I stayed with that version of CSS for two months until last week when I downloaded v.1.6.7.1 and made the same and a few more tweaks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
1. Toolbar colour KEEPS changing. Even with a theme selected, the colours just keeps switching. All the tabs are light that are not engaged but the tab I'm on will switch colours. I have had everyone thing from the brown (when I started this note) to the blue it just switched to, to red, fluorescent green, orange, purple....etc. Usually it's a dark colour and that makes it had to read my bookmarks.
Could that possibly have to do with the "Transparency" setting, under:

System Preferences --> Accessibility --> Display --> Transparency

·
Registered
434 Posts
Could that possibly have to do with the "Transparency" setting, under:

System Preferences --> Accessibility --> Display --> Transparency
This drove me crazy when I upgraded to OS 10.11 from OS 10.9 three weeks ago. Couldn't get used to the transparency effect, so I disabled it a few hours into running the new OS.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I looked for Transparency but there's not a lot of options there. (I'd put a picture in of it but can't see how. It's on my desktop so.... URL???)

All it said I could do was reduce transparency.

Grey scale would be at least be better and I could read my bookmarks but it affects everything. :-(

For the multirow, I'll have a look at what you're suggesting but it may be more than I can do. We'll see..... fingers crossed.

thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to have fixed the issue with the colour changing. For the last several days I've had a message at the bottom of the screen "looks like you haven't restarted Firefox recently" which is completely incorrect sooooo I was ignoring it. Today, I decided to click on it as it mentioned fixing things. I guess it did because now the theme I've chosen is finally doing something!! Yeah!!

Now for the multi-line bookmarks.....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Glad to hear that the problem is gone. I have never seen the FF restart message, don't know what triggers FF to issue such a message.

Now for the multi-line bookmarks.....
If you need help, I can point you to which line of code to do a small modification to make a multi-rows bookmark bar. This feature is currently identified as experimental. The developer of the style sheet and other knowledgeable users say that about 90-110 bookmarks will appear on the multi-rows bookmark bar. If you have more bookmarks in the bookmark toolbar, the rest won't appear. There appears to be a limit that Mozilla has set as of FF57.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts