Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting in the hot tub last night just at dusk I could swear I saw a firefly in the back yard.

It lit once and caught my eye, I sort of did a double take thinking I'd been seeing things - then a bit off to the right it lit again then disappeared.

Now I do get the occasional "lights" if a migraine is spinning up and that was sort of my initial "what the' reaction but the light was too solid and yellow and then when it did it again I figured it might be a firefly.

But is it the right time of year.??

I recall fireflies as a kid in Georgia visiting relatives but up here??

Thoughts??

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Yes, there were tons of fireflies in Waycross, Georgia when I was there back in 1973 and 1974. Have not seen one in Canada, however, in my 30 years here. Of course, in the GTA, anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I would see fireflys all the time when I was living in the country. Quite usual.

Tonight though I was bombarded by massive Junebugs. Swarms of them.

·
Premium Member
31,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seem to recall fireflies in summer in Ontario as a kid - but not frequent.
Could get a jar full in Georgia tho.

Seems like it's rare enough to have a dedicated website for Canada

Firefly Reports from Canada by Donald Burger, Houston, TX

Ontario:

June 24, 2005: Lynda McLeod notes: We live in Ajax, Ontario, near Carruthers Creek about one mile north of Lake Ontario. Every year we see the fireflies June 12-13, and this year no exception. The area near the creek bed has several old trees lining the banks, and then opens up to a natural grass area. We see them floating over the tall grasses and as high up as 10 feet after 9:30 at night. Often the males carry on for hours, because I have spotted them glowing as late at midnight. Unfortunately the windy weather and damp weather does seem to affect the numbers, as we don't have as many as we used to have.
June 13, 2005: A reader writes: We have fireflies around our house located in the country, just outside Barrie, Ontario, 1.5 hours north of Toronto Ontario Canada.
July 19, 2002: Annemarie reports: Hi there, I live in Ontario, Canada, where we do have fireflies. I just wanted you to know that while I was visiting some friends just outside of Herkimer, New York, I saw an over abundance of fireflies. It was beautiful! I thought we had lots in Ontario, but they have so may more. It was like a light show. I just thought you may like to hear that. Good luck in getting them back.

Queensville:

June 26, 2000: Jean Martin reports: I go out every night during firefly season, which starts around June 20 and ends around July 3. We live in a rural, Queensville, area about 55 miles north of Toronto. There are many thousands of them along a road- Holborn- among the tress at the side of a field. Along Doane Road there are also many thousands. I have watched them for the last 15 years, over which period their numbers have declined considerably. Sadly, There is a plan to bring 30 000 people into the area, under the Queensville Plan. I hold out little hope for the fireflies when this development occurs. I spoke about the potential loss of these priceless little beauties at a hearing about the plan. The developers neither know nor care. Nor does the Ontario Municipal Board. Shame on them! These insects hold a very special magic.
Right on the money for time of day and time of year.....MUCH better than being a migraine aura. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live in Dundas and we've had fireflies for the last two weeks. I don't think this is uncommon for Ontario at this time of year. It's great and very soothing while relaxing on hot summer nights...

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I grew up around Uxbridge ON and they were common in summer.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
When and if fireflies ever come to this part of NL, then it is time to move to another country. We are doomed. The last firefly to glow in the St.John's area was just before the last ice age.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have seen them a few tmes when coming home at dusk. They are out in the pastures near where I live. There were lots of them last time I saw them.:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep, I've seen quite a few of them in the North Bay area, particularly in fields of long grass. They're easy to catch too, simply by following them and cupping your hand where they land. I've caught a few that way. It's kind of neat to have them glow in your hand, hehe.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Came across this thread, because I was googling fireflies in Ontario, reason being that we were just in Grove City PA, doing the shopping thing with the family, and we noticed them at dusk outside the hotel. My kids have never seen one ages 5 and 7, I haven't seen one in over 20 years. I remember them in Toronto when I was a kid, but that was over 30 years ago.
I felt like catching a jar full and releasing them up in my yard.
Does anyone know what has happened to them in the GTA?

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
Does anyone know what has happened to them in the GTA?
I still see them in the GTA... Saw them a couple of times sitting in our backyard over the last few years. I know in Richmond Hill I have family who see them regularly thoughout the summer (same goes for the Kawarthas).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure if y'all would consider Caledonia (just outside of Hamilton) part of the GTA, but there's been fireflies there since at least '92. As well there's been fireflies since at least '85 down in the Windsor area.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Saw lots and lots of them on the path between Edwards' Gardens and Sunnybrook a few weeks ago. There was just one spot where they all seemed to be congregating.
Really?
Thats good to know, because I have never seen one around my house now for the past 20 years.
I just thought it was strange, that when I saw them in Pennsylvania I realized that it's been a long time since I have seen them in Toronto.
and like I said, my kids have NEVER seen one.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Really?
Thats good to know, because I have never seen one around my house now for the past 20 years.
I just thought it was strange, that when I saw them in Pennsylvania I realized that it's been a long time since I have seen them in Toronto.
and like I said, my kids have NEVER seen one.
I'd never seen any before either, but then the person I was walking with suddenly stopped me... and there they were. So many of them too.

I've also seen deer along the same path. Just once, though.

·
Premium Member
31,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots up at my friends cottage near Peterborough and a very nice stop after a long mcycle ride.
Late, tired, just pulled off on a quiet spot to take a breather up by Bell Fountain.

Just after a rain and the silence was very intense as was the dark after the lights and noise of the trip.
As my eyes adjusted - flickers everywhere from fireflies and not a peep of sound as the light fog damped everything. Fairy glen indeed.:clap:

Same trip a huge red moon on the horizon due to the thin fog. Treat for the senses.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts