Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I saw a box at Henry's while I was looking at cameras. The Apple TV box was in a display case so I have no clue if it was empty display box or not, but I would assume that they have some. I would first check the Mac Group since they have just about everything possible apple.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks everyone. I'll check with The Mac Group if they have some and as I'm not in a rush, I'll check if there are more units available on the refurb store in the next days.

Cheers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'll check with The Mac Group if they have some and as I'm not in a rush, I'll check if there are more units available on the refurb store in the next days.

Cheers.
Good luck - and let us know how it turns out! I've been wanting to have a closer look at an AppleTV.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The link works for me... that's a link to the iservice depot, another Mac shop.

As for the CompuSmart at Rideau, that's terrible news.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI, I got an answer from The Mac Group, and they don't carry any Apple TV as for now. They may carry some after summer, but not now.
I'll check with iservice depot tomorrow, and keep an eye on the refurb store.

Bottom line, it's not easy to find such device in the Capital City...
It kinds of makes me wonder how low sales are on the TV...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
It might have something to do with content as well. The iTunes Store for Canada, doesn't sell TV shows or Movies, does it. TV shows and Movies are only available in the US. Which means you'd have to provide your own content.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually, you are probably right - this very issue was talked about at brunch this weekend. This is just a bit ridiculous - no iTunes TV shows/movies, nor iPhone in Canada...

It is starting to feel like an Apple gulag here. :-/

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with the lack of content from the iTunes store.
But this doesn't mean that I don't have content, such as music, pictures, and my ripped collection of DVD (especially the kid's movies, which will make me feel better when my little one won't have to handle and break the actual DVDs ;-) )

Actually, I'm not so fond of buying TV content when I already pay for my TV cable services, so the lack of shows content in the store doesn't really bother me. I'd rather be able to record TV on the apple TV than purchasing something I'm already paying for.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
If you're already paying for your content.. it would be a worthwhile investment to buy a Miglia TVMicro or some other of the same kind and record your content with EyeTV. This worked really well for me (well, the GF). I'm sure EyeTV records in H.264, which would work with the AppleTV.

It's a shame Apple didn't offer the option to attach cable to the AppleTV, and record it on the fly/schedule. I'm willing to bet that it will be in a future revision of the AppleTV.

I haven't seen any AppleTV's in Ottawa. Tho, I haven't looked very hard. I'm considering selling my Nintendo Wii and picking up the AppleTV, so I've only been checking when I'm somewhere that sells Apple products.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're already paying for your content.. it would be a worthwhile investment to buy a Miglia TVMicro or some other of the same kind and record your content with EyeTV.
I agree, but that doesn't remove the need of an Apple TV or a computer next to the TV which I don't have.
So my plan is:
- TV + PVR for TV content and record / play this content (have it already and it works just fine)
- Remote computer + wifi + Apple TV to store and stream my ripped DVD /pictures / music. The benefit I see here also include the ability to watch movies purchased in Europe (Zone 2 + PAL vs Zone 1 + NTSC) which can't be read with my current DVD player + TV, as well as removing all these DVD boxes around the TV...

The unknown is that, although I ripped all my content in mp4 and it opens in iTunes, I don't know how much of this will actually play well with the apple TV without a need to rip it again...
My other concern is how well will iTunes scale with 300+ movies, and the fact that I can't sort them in folders / sub folder by categories for instance...

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Oh, for sure.. I wasn't implying that you shouldn't get an AppleTV. I was implying that it would be a great combination. In fact, there's no better way to do it, as far as I'm concerned.

Even if you could purchase iTunes content, it would get seriously expensive, when all you have to do is set your Mac to record the shows that you like. :)

If I get an AppleTV, I will definitely be investing in another TVMicro, or possibly the Hybrid so that I could record HD.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually, I'm not so fond of buying TV content when I already pay for my TV cable services, so the lack of shows content in the store doesn't really bother me. I'd rather be able to record TV on the apple TV than purchasing something I'm already paying for.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of buying content off of iTunes either. Most of my content in iTunes comes from my own CD collection. A few songs and videos I got from the 'net.

I'm looking at buying the Slingbox Pro, one of these days, so I can watch TV on any Mac I want at home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts