Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing lately that, when renaming files with A Better Finder Rename, the Finder takes a while to refresh. Yes, maybe it's something to do with the app (?) but now, today, when copying and pasting a file, it's not showing at the new location until I do a Find and choose "show in enclosing folder" and then it appears. Also, when trying to rename a Powerpoint file, I get this: "An unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)." I was thinking it's about time to do a "nuke and pave" anyways, but what might the issues be with the Finder? All else seems to be running fine.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A reboot fixed the error I was getting with changing the Powerpoint file name, but the Finder is still slow to show when copying, pasting and exporting files.

DriveDx is showing all good.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
I was thinking it's about time to do a "nuke and pave" anyways, but what might the issues be with the Finder? All else seems to be running fine.

That can be a very time consuming task that may not even fix things and better to just do some normal maintenance or a compatible Mac OS X COMBO install.

And also maybe check on your extensions and try running without at least some of them.

And BTW, what Mac product, OS version and drive type (SSD/HDD) are you using???

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Got a mid-2015 MBP with a 1TB SSD running the MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1

OK,
For your "An unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)." problem, I'd start with a google search:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=B7ktWuuDGYTt8wedwJjADg

and among the hits find:
This error is a permissions problem.
https://www.coopoint.com/articles/how-to-fix-error-code-8072

Use Disk Utility "First Aid" and it might fix things.

And more hits available on that google search list to check out if needed.

If you're having other multiple problems, many recommend running the correct and compatible free version of Onyx.app using just its "Automatic" mode.
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up doing a clean install and the issue is gone. I wanted to clean out the Mac anyways.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I find this annoyance returning. I don't ever remember this on any other Mac. It was instantaneous. When saving or exporting a file in most any App, it will take 8-10 seconds before it actually shows in the Finder.

I did run Onyx maintenance with no change.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I was thinking it's about time to do a "nuke and pave" anyways, but what might the issues be with the Finder? All else seems to be running fine.
More likely time to get rid of third party apps!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems to do it with every app in the saving or exporting of files....even Pages, Keynote and Numbers. I wouldn’t call those 3rd party.
Maybe some other members here can try on their end and see if it’s instantaneously showing in the Finder or are they also seeing a delay of some sort.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Seems to do it with every app in the saving or exporting of files....even Pages, Keynote and Numbers. I wouldn’t call those 3rd party.

Try booting up using Safe Boot Mode, login to your username and try duplicating what you are doing.

If it works as it should, then there's some third party thing(s) causing the delay.

To get back to "normal" OS, just Restart as usual.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Booted into Safe Mode (although it didn't say Safe Mode like usual, but I could tell it was). The delayed Finder issue continued. But, I also created a New User account and, the issue does not appear on that side. Exporting and copying is instantaneous. Where do I go from here?

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Ok. Booted into Safe Mode (although it didn't say Safe Mode like usual,
… … …Where do I go from here?

From your description and actions you did, I'd try using Safe Boot Mode again, at least just to check.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I have had the same (or a similar problem) with El Camino for quite a while.

When I save something to a desktop folder, the saved file often doesn't show up in that folder for quite some time.
I worked around that by doing a search for that saved file in that folder - the search always finds it and after that the file shows in the folder.

I attributed that on a folder which has a lot of items in it - 3600 when I check - and a poor software design.
I'm actually starting to make a list of El Camino software design issues and bugs -there are a lot more than what I was used to for Snow Leopard.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
I attributed that on a folder which has a lot of items in it - 3600 when I check - and a poor software design.

I dare say that's a heck of a lot of items to have in a single folder and to expect super fast save/view results.

Can you not group or organize the items into separate folders within that folder???

Might help speed things up. ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I already have a bunch of subfolders in that folder.

But when I ran SnowLeopard I had a folder with almost 28000 items in it (that folder was used for the same purpose as the problem folder now) and never had any noticable delays like I'm experiencing now.

I currently have 119 GB free on a 500 GB hard drive, so that part should be OK.
I also have 16 GB of RAM installed - so the Mac runs nice and fast, all I have is that delay problem when I save someting to that folder which at times can be annoying.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
But when I ran SnowLeopard I had a folder with almost 28000 items in it (that folder was used for the same purpose as the problem folder now) and never had any noticable delays like I'm experiencing now.

Maybe access or open that folder before you need to use it and maybe the data it needs will stick in memory and speed things up.
Or maybe replace it with a SSD??? :D ;)

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From your description and actions you did, I'd try using Safe Boot Mode again, at least just to check.
Booted into Safe Mode again. The behavior continues in Safe Mode but not at all when logging into another account.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Booted into Safe Mode again. The behavior continues in Safe Mode but not at all when logging into another account.

Well, at least in theory, and as you probably know, that should not happen.

Rather strange problem and really makes it much harder to track down the actual problem.

That most likely then might leave a corrupt .plist as the problem. And I'd suspect the last Apple related thing you were using.

- Patrick
======

1 - 19 of 19 Posts