ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's anyone's guess if there will be any news of laptop upgrades. It wouldn't hurt to hold off until the end of July just in case.

You can purchase Applecare at anytime up to the end of the first year.

RAM can be upgraded through any mac retailer. It will be less expensive than buying ram through Apple.

I hope you enjoy your new iBook and your mac experience!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Well a long time ago, sometime last year, I decided to save up for a laptop, or more specifically an iBook for school.

After a new PC, some extra-curricular fees and random spending I have finally saved enough to get the CD model iBook.

I read somewhere that there may be announcement for new notebooks on July 16. If this is true, will they be available before September?

Also with regards to applecare; systems come with 1 year included? Can I then buy the 1-3 years package at the end of the first year if I want? Oh and can the RAM be upgraded at any mac retailer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
There was a post a while ago about a subcontractor having been asked to manufacture the replacement of the PBG4 15" in September. This looks like a reasonable time target. I would volunteer two 'iron rules':

1) There is never a good time to buy a computer: there is always a better one coming up

2) I would not like to be 2 processors behind. So now that the G5 is (almost) shipping, I would not plump for anything below G4

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys. I'll wait until the end of the month.

I'm not too worried about being two generations behind as my needs are not that demanding:

I'm hoping to do some word processing, maybe some statistical analysis, image cropping in Photoshop and playing Diablo II.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
If your interested in buying an iBook, I think it's unlikely the iBook is going to be updated in the next few months. Apple last updated the iBook in April, and Apple generally updates their products every 6 months - that means the next update is around September/October. Also, the general audience of the iBook is students and schools, so, it's too late for an update. Schools and students buy around this time.

The Powerbook line is due for an update and will likely be updated in July or August.

·
Registered
993 Posts
There has been a lot of press lately about a higher speed G3 being produced by IBM (for example, here. This should end up in an upgraded iBook, but they aren't projecting it to be out until December.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts