Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple has finally released a preview of "IP over FireWire", or firewire networking drivers/software.

Apparantly it will be able to take advantage of Rendezvous, which is a good thing.

I only say "finally" because you ahve been able to bridge TCP/IP to a firewire port in Windows XP since it came out. I can;t speak to the reliability of it under XP, but at it was (is) there, and as a built in port is a fast alternative to the 10/100 network acrds that come installed in most PCs and every eMac, iMac and iBook.

It is only good for short range stuff though, like one computer to another, as you can only go 4 meters or so before needing a repeater with firewire, and the cables are much more expensive than Cat5 cables.

Article at TMO

--PB

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think firewire is good, but under load especially in large areas where companies are looking for performance, firewire will not keep up.

I do a lot of installs with Xserve's and external Hard Ware based OSS Raid systems and they keep running and running.

The external raids are 100Mhz IDE drives just like t he Xserve, but with the SCSI LVD interface that ships on the Xserves it blows away and Firewire connectivity that would even try to compete.

Maybe Firewire 2 is what we are looking at here where we will get theoretical speeds of 800 - 1000 mbs thereby starting to compete on gig over copper speeds.

The biggest thing that I think apple could do to use that power (IP over firewire) would be to build a cheap NAS (Network Attached Storage) device based on the new firewire technology on the inside and offer it up via ethernet or even 1 or 2GB fibre channel to plug into a network.

Might be able to offer an even better entry level rack mount model based on cheap internal IDE drives but offering up to the same performance as other servers. Give it a simple to use web based interface, and I think they might have a winner in the entry level houses that will one day move up to a full scale Xserve

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the initial reports, it seems to be a good thing for connecting one computer to another, quickly and efficiently, but not for implementing on any large scale (a la Xserving it up, FW Style).

Basically, I think they are probably trying to give laptop owners an alternative to TDM if all they want to do is move a few files around.

--PB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.