Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My issue is that I can't import into Final Cut alot of videos that can play in Quicktime. Odd because I thought that they used the same drivers. I was wondering if anyone knew of some update/3rd party software which enabled Final Cut to import more video formats. Or, perhaps, some setting I need to enable.

My issue is mostly with .mP4s. I use Final Cut 5.0.1 (intel version). Hoping to get 6 soon, if that version fixes this issue.

Thanks in advance,
-Sherman

·
Registered
470 Posts
FCP 5.0.1 for Intel?

That's not for Intel machines, it will install but doesn't run right from what I've seen personally. .

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If by not running right, you mean the 50+ hours I have edited are faulty... then I pray to God you are wrong... But if by not running right you mean there are some features buggy... perhaps you're right.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Intel version is 5.1 - better check.

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
Sherman: help us help you

more info please
machine specs
os
fcp version
ect
cheers
OM

·
Registered
470 Posts
Buggy features is what I'm referring to. I was able to edit when I loaded it on an Intel iMac, but it seemed to do some odd things while working with compressor and going back and forth with LiveType sometimes.

I checked at emotionDV and found out that ya it loads but it's hit and miss as to how it works. I'm sure you know about these guys...;)

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Buggy features is what I'm referring to. I was able to edit when I loaded it on an Intel iMac, but it seemed to do some odd things while working with compressor and going back and forth with LiveType sometimes.
FCP has some positive features but they are some things and bugs that are annoying.
I'm still waiting for a decent titler....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FCP has some positive features but they are some things and bugs that are annoying.
I'm still waiting for a decent titler....
Agreed, I sit for hours in textedit properly spacing things so that it will format properly in Final Cut... only to find that Final Cut wont import \r's properly :'( I wonder if FC6 has a more developed titler.

·
Registered
470 Posts
FCP has some positive features but they are some things and bugs that are annoying. I'm still waiting for a decent titler....
I've never had a problem using LiveType for titles, credits etc, that's what it's made for. Formatting problems and spacing? Never had that issue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never had a problem using LiveType for titles, credits etc, that's what it's made for. Formatting problems and spacing? Never had that issue.
Oh, it does the job, but the hassle (I feel) of going outside of Final Cut to create a insanely huge file (for what it does) and fiddle with it until it's just right... I mean, a simple credit/title maker within Final Cut would be so much more convenient, I don't need extensive titling tools.

LiveType specializes at very labour-intensive special effects with regard to titles. I need simple credits to scroll up from the bottom of my screen.

Furthermore, if i need to tweak just a letter due to typo, or I want to adjust alignment, I need to go outside Final Cut, fiddle with LiveType again, re-export it... All this instead of 3 clicks and a delete button.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
It's been some time since I've been editing with FCP, but I do recall a hint from one of the many techie sites that some editors were using iMovie (really!) to create their titling, and then importing the file into FCP, since iMovie's titling tool is ridiculously simple.

YMMV.

:)
M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts