Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I got the unexpected message that my hard drive was full. 1.5 GB remaining. This MBP has only a 120GB SSD so I’ve had to be careful and up until a few days ago I had about 1/3 free.
What has changed is the size of Other. See attachment.
How can I find the files and folders that make up Autre to get rid of what I don’t want?
I suspect there is a bunch of doubles. Is there a way to mass delete all the doubles?
Thanks.
David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Do you have Time Machine.app enabled, but not connected to your external backup drive?

If so, TM can and will create a "backup" on your internal SSD that can consume a fair bit of space until the normal TM backup drive is connected.

Another option is to use a utility to actually see the size and what you have installed such as GrandPerspective.app https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19515/grandperspective

PS: I'll withhold my caustic comments of Apple actually supplying a ridiculously small 120GB SSD option with some of their MacBook models. :-(
It's not fair on the user not to fill them.

PPS: You can find other suggestions and solutions among the hits here:
'Mac Other on hard drive'
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Mac+Other+on+hard+drive&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I second the use of Grand Perspective as a great, free tool for finding out what huge files are hiding away on your drive.

But let me suggest getting the app from the proper source, as Macupdate - at least in my eyes - is not longer a trustworthy source.

Grand Perspective: GrandPerspective

M

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
But let me suggest getting the app from the proper source, as Macupdate - at least in my eyes - is not longer a trustworthy source.
Grand Perspective: GrandPerspective

Usually always good advice to download from the developer's site if possible, but also macupdate seems to have cleaned up its act from the inclusion of some extra additional bits it got into a while back, but it still pays to pay attention and read what one is clicking on.

Personally I'd avoid using their macupdate desktop app but others may appreciate how it works for them.

- Patrick
======

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Recently I got the unexpected message that my hard drive was full. 1.5 GB remaining. This MBP has only a 120GB SSD so I’ve had to be careful and up until a few days ago I had about 1/3 free.
A lot of good suggestions on how to identify the space used, but what were you doing between a few days ago and the drive filling up? It might help to prevent filling the drive again, if you keep track of what got you there. Some things that might show up in 'Autre'

Browser cache (maybe binge watching Netflix?)
iPhone backups (If anyone does them locally these days!)
Scratch/temp files?
Incomplete downloads?
Incomplete Torrents (Once you start a torrent download, the drive space is usually allocated for the full size of the file.)
Log files.

A tool like Onyx can help with cleaning up stuff the system does, like tmp and log files.

EDIT: FWIW I use DaisyDisk, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.
I will download GrandPerspective from the developer. Try it and report. I'm not on the MBP at the moment so not sure about TimeMachine. I did use it once but now use CCC. Not sure I disabled it.
True what you say PM-R about small harddrive. When I got it I had to decide between ordering 16GB RAM or larger hd. I did get advice on that from the this forum. Given my using patterns, more RAM was likely better. And I don't regret having that RAM.
And there are ways of working around inadequate hd capacity.
Not sure what I did that might have caused the balloon. I'm not the only user of the MBP. I have a grandson -14- who's a savvy but extravagant user of internet resources. No torrents though. I'll ask him about the Netflix. He does use Steam and does get games although he uses his Kokom's iMac for that. Lots of hardrive space.
No iphones. Downloads I review pretty reglarly. I think the preference setting is for auto delete after a week.
I like the idea of ONYX and will get it. I don't know what FWIW means.
Thanks a lot as usual. I'update as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Downloads I review pretty reglarly. I think the preference setting is for auto delete after a week.
That setting only applies to the downloads window (if you're using Safari), not the downloads folder. You may have a crapload of .dmg files sitting there :)

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
I'm not the only user of the MBP. I have a grandson -14- who's a savvy but extravagant user of internet resources.

Ahhhghh…Sounds like the perfect type to download all sorts of games that seldom follow the OS rules properly and are often bloated.

Hopefully he only installs such stuff to ONLY his user account. ;-)

Doubtful as he's probably not quite that resource aware or careful as you think he is. And most game installers don't care or regardless as long as they get the first crack at any resource.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GrandPerspective does produce pretty pictures. I like it but I can’t see a way to select Autre as one of the folders to scan.. Will it be even be there as a choice?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
There's no such thing as an "Autre" ("Other") folder.

The display that the "Storage" tab shows you is dynamically-created. Just like there is no "Photos" folder (it's "Pictures").

From the FILE menu in GrandPerspective, navigate to the root level of your Hard Drive, and scan the whole thing. Use the pop-up menu in the dialog to navigate upwards to the root level.

Once GP has provided you the "pretty picture", just hover your mouse over the larger blocks to show you where they are located on the hard drive (the path is shown at the bottom).

You can also Control-Click (Right-Click or two-finger-tap on trackpad) on any of the blocks to select "Reveal in Finder".

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
I like it but I can’t see a way to select Autre as one of the folders to scan.. Will it be even be there as a choice?

As CM mentioned, the "other" or "Autre" sfuff is not as you expect.

See this:
What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202867

And maybe these:
How to find and remove files from the 'Other' storage category on your Mac
https://www.imore.com/how-find-and-remove-files-other-category-mac

What is Other Storage on Mac and How to Remove It?
https://www.igeeksblog.com/what-is-other-on-mac-how-to-remove/

or try some of the appropriate hits here:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+what+is+other&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take it Quick in QuickReply means Quick. I take too long and lose them.
I did make a quick reply to CM about the Other business saying I suspected that was the case.
And I did use GrandP to get to what I think is the root level -MBP de David - and did confirm that the biggest current user of space is Photos. I tried to shift a bunch of crappy videos to and external HD I have. Sadly the net result was a doubling of the size of Photos, from 17.5 to 35 GB. Not sure what I did. When I open the folder though I don’t see doubles of everything. So I don’t know.
Probably a case for Onyx or , if I understand Polywog correctly, DaisyDisc.
Reactions?
David

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It appears I’m also wrong about Other being the culprit. Its size at last CCC backup was 62GB. Deleting chat elements released another 1.5GB

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
As a casual onlooker on EhMac these days, I may have a slightly different perspective. A few thoughts:

hinted upon by pm-r in his 1st answer in this thread, it is also my opinion that "local snapshots" are the greatest culprit in quickly filling up the "other" category on your drive ( be it HDD or SSD).

These local snapshots are hidden backup files, originating in Time Machine, and planted on your internal drive when the normal TM drive/ Time Capsule is not available.

Please check your Time Machine Preferences, and make sure "local snapshots" is turned off.

I myself only switch Time Machine on manually, precisely to stay in control.
Rampant local snapshots will fill up your disk in no time!

Maybe have a look at this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8090544

May not be a bad idea to remove those local snapshots: open a Terminal & paste this ( rather harmless) command:

Code:
sudo tmutil thinLocalSnapshots / 10000000000 4
Or, to the same effect:

https://www.imore.com/how-us-time-machine-local-snapshots-recover-data-your-mac-laptop

Code:
sudo tmutil disablelocal
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Folks, just for perspective... I run a mid-2014 rMBP with a 128gb SSD. I'm constantly battling to keep myself to at least 10gb of free space - but that's due entirely to various weekly viewing options ;)

I have Time Machine enabled, and have never had a problem with snapshots suddenly filling up my drive. I suspect something else is happening with lebeau99.... especially after his note above indicating that in attempting to move videos/photos, he ended up doubling the size of Photos.... something's going on there....

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
I tried to shift a bunch of crappy videos to and external HD I have. Sadly the net result was a doubling of the size of Photos, from 17.5 to 35 GB. Not sure what I did. When I open the folder though I don’t see doubles of everything. So I don’t know.
Probably a case for Onyx or , if I understand Polywog correctly, DaisyDisc.
Reactions?
David

You might want to try running one of the "Find Duplicates" applications for a start, now that you seem to have created a bunch of them.

Both Free and reasonable priced choices here:
https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/find duplicate

- Patrick
======

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I have Time Machine enabled, and have never had a problem with snapshots suddenly filling up my drive. I suspect something else is happening with lebeau99....

Indeed; and like time machine those snapshots should free up as space is required.

David, Daisy Disk will show you the same information as Grand Perspective, but I find it does so more intuitively, and generates the view much more quickly.

Something I have run into in the past that gobbles up space: iPhone/iPad backups and Apps. I believe that whole set shows up as "Autre" and can be considerable in size, especially the apps. They would be under "Music" in finder, unfortunately not in front of a Mac to get more specific.

Steam games I believe get put in your Home directory by default, possibly even Documents. Did your grandson install Steam on the laptop? Even if he doesn't play on it, if he downloaded any games there goes space!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts