Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've had my Macbook for a week yesterday.. and i have played with many things :) i even turned on this File Vault until i was experimenting with Automator workflow thingy i kept getting an error so i went googling as to why my automator wouldn't work.. and found that it had to do with File Vault being turned on... soo it took it over an hour for it to do its stuff to turn off..

So my question is .. is it really necessary to have file Vault on??

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
So my question is .. is it really necessary to have file Vault on??
NO!!!!!

The only reason for file vault is to protect highly sensitive data. In most cases it is better to use the built-in disk utility to create an encrypted read- write disk image. Be sure you do not allow it to add the password to your keychain. Save any sensitive files to the encrypted disk image.

This is much safer than file vault and has the added bonus that the disk image can be easily copied to a memory stick. This is a secondary back-up which stays with you.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
FileVault is actually an encrypted sparseimage (meaning it can grow as needed), much like any other encrypted disk image (dmg). If you want your email, Address Book etc secured from physical intrusion (i.e. someone has your computer and wants access), then FileVault is the way to do it. If you only need to secure a few documents, then an encrypted disk image is an easier solution.

With physical access, bypassing the OS X login is trivial.

Both FileVault and encrypted disk images use AES-128 bit encryption, so neither is more secure than the other. Of course, both are only as secure as their passwords.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts