Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody understand this new security in panther. Is it more for a business thats sharing a computer or does it have to do with securing files from hackers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
FileVault is to protect your data from prying eyes. If you've got corporate data on a Powerbook and the Powerbook is stolen, your data's up for grabs.

Same thing for a shared computer. The kiddies might find/stumble on to out what Santa's bringing them for Christmas.

And I guess if someone can get access to your computer from outside, then your data's protected from them.

But remember that it's your user folder that's protected, nothing else.

John

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is there such thing as a MAC Computer Hackers?
Sure there are lots of Mac programmers. Hackers write code, crackers break into your system.

Speaking of which. Is anyone here using Realbasic to write apps with? Someone I know needs a simple invoicing and customer record app written.

This reminds me of something, up until OS X was released Mac people were pretty much left alone, not a lot of malicious viruses and stuff directed at them. I am curious, now that Macs run on a Unix OS are more systems now being 'broken' into or compromised?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I'm a MAC Computer Hacker, I was forced to change my MAC Address on a Linux machine once, so I'm a MAC hacker ;)

I've been around networking too much. For me MAC = Media Access Control, not Macintosh now.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If someone gets physical access to your powerbook, they could access any file that is not encrypted. FileVault can encrypt your entire home directory, so that even if someone took a copy of your harddrive onto their iPod and worked on it for ages, they'd never be able to read your personal files.

·
Registered
435 Posts
..so that even if someone took a copy of your harddrive onto their iPod and worked on it for ages, they'd never be able to read your personal files...

Ehh.. you should know better than this! Never say never when talking about code cracking! 128bit encryption was supposed to be unbreakable and can now be broken relatively easly if you have some resources. The only true form of encryption is quantum encoding. Everything else is beatable, its just a matter of time and money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts