Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have a bunch of gigs of photos and videos of our family that I'd like to sync onto my folks' home back in Canada. I thought of using BT-Sync, which I had played with years ago, but just discovered it's now a commercial product (Resilio) and even the home version is a $60 purchase.

Suggestions for an alternative?

I like the process of BT-Sync - just identify a folder on each computer, link 'em, and watch 'em sync.

I suppose I could drop them all into my iCloud Drive (I pay for the 50 gig option)... but that would mean logging into my iCloud account on the remote computer as well, which is already associated with an AppleID (my folks), and not an ideal solution. I haven't explored Family sharing yet... that might be a solution...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the interest in jumping through all the hoops to get their Dropbox augmented to a useful capacity (DB's default 2 gigs is ridiculous).

In the end I'm doing it via GoogleDrive. I have an alias of their GDrive folder on their desktop, and I'm uploading via the web interface to their GDrive account on my end. Slow, but the easiest way to do it for all concerned. Speed isn't a concern at this point....

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
Just a note about GoogleDrive and maybe it has improved recently, but you can't beat it's price, but I noticed that may photos and video resolution was obviously goofed up and somewhat blurry.

You may want to do some checking if they are critical.

BTW: All the same files were all OK using Dropbox.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I'm a huge fan of Dropbox - Apple should have bought the darn thing years ago. GDrive has the edge on free space, obviously, but nothing compares to Dropbox's great integration with the Finder.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
CubaMark;2628049 I suppose I could drop them all into my iCloud Drive (I pay for the 50 gig option)... but that would mean logging into my iCloud account on the remote computer as well said:
Won't help with Sync, but you could use maildrop to send large files? It would provide a link in an email to retrieve the arbitrarily large file.

I pay for the 2TB storage option, and have used maildrop a couple of times. It's pretty handy.

I believe you can also just share files already on iCloud, but I'm not sure about folders.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Won't help with Sync, but you could use maildrop to send large files? It would provide a link in an email to retrieve the arbitrarily large file.
Thanks for the idea, polywog, but the sheer number of files would be unmanageable. I supposed I could have (should have) ZIPped everything before doing the transfer to save some time, but since I let it run overnight, not an issue.

Thinking about this again, I could probably also have done a torrent transfer by creating the torrent file myself... if it's possible to make those private. Something else to try someday :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts