Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the plunge and upgraded my iPhone 6S to iOS 15.01. Only issue so far is that the battery started out at 100% and after the first use to set up the new OS, it was down to 10% in less than 15 minutes. Recharged now and going to monitor.

I did start having higher than expected battery life after 14.7. We'll see what 15 gives.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
I finally took the plunge and upgraded my iPhone 6S to iOS 15.01.
I have just been doing some Googling to see if I should be updating my wife's iPhone 6s which is currently using iOS version 13.7, to iOS 14.x. I understand that it is advisable to do so for security reasons alone, but I am curious to know how you found iOS 14.x. I am assuming it is still available for download somewhere somehow.

Any suggestions or recommendations??? But I think I will hold off on upgrading it to iOS 15 for a while longer. My understanding is that one cannot go backwards as far as the installed iOS version goes.

- Patrick
=======

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can try tapping on Settings > General > Software update and check for updates. You may be offered a 14.XX update, and you may not. Apple is no longer signing the 14.8 version so it is not available even for rolling back from iOS 15 on some models of iPhone. See my post here. XR - 14.8 not possible?

If you do not see a version 14.xx offered, you should see the 15.01 being offered. That will also bring in all the latest security updates for the device.

·
peek-a-boo
17,330 Posts
I have the 12 pro, still on 14.8 I wasn't even aware there was a new version. Guess Im not paying attention!

·
peek-a-boo
17,330 Posts
Interesting. I checked my phone, it says up to date at 14.8. but then below it says, also available iOS15. I had to check if this is beta, but it says released sept 20? I dont think Ive seen apple do this before or I hadn't noticed.

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cannot remember what was displayed when we went from iOS 13 to 14. Beta OS versions are never offered in the OS. You have to actively hunt for them online.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Interesting. I checked my phone, it says up to date at 14.8. but then below it says, also available iOS15. I had to check if this is beta, but it says released sept 20? I dont think Ive seen apple do this before or I hadn't noticed.
Apparently it is a new option for iOS 14 users Apple has implemented so users can stay with iOS 14 and still get the latest security update without having to upgrade to iOS 15.

There seem to be other rumours that if a user has installed iOS 15, they cannot later downgrade back to iOS 14.x

I hope they expand the option to macOS versions to stay with an earlier OS version but keep the security updates coming.

- Patrick
=======

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my battery life seems to be back to normal for my usage patterns after the upgrade to iOS 15.01. For my use of the phone, I used to get two days use out of a full charge. When I upgraded to iOS 14.5 or 14.7, the consumption seemed to double, only giving me one day on a charge. I am back up to two days again, which makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
When I upgraded to iOS 14.5 or 14.7, the consumption seemed to double, only giving me one day on a charge. I am back up to two days again, which makes me happy.
Nice to read of your good improvements with the latest iOS version install.. 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Administrator
62 Posts
I really like the Live Text feature of IOS 15. All you have to do is point your camera at any text. iOS will bring the text to the foreground of the picture. You are then given the option to copy it. Then you can paste it into your editing text software. It works great.

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like the Live Text feature of IOS 15. All you have to do is point your camera at any text. iOS will bring the text to the foreground of the picture. You are then given the option to copy it. Then you can paste it into your editing text software. It works great.
My 6S is too old for this feature. From Apple's support site....."You need an iPhone XS, iPhone XR, or later with iOS 15 to use Live Text. "

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
My 6S is too old for this feature. From Apple's support site....."You need an iPhone XS, iPhone XR, or later with iOS 15 to use Live Text. "
The same thing goes for many other "features" as well with the latest IOS 15 that just will not be available on 6s iPhones and several other models as I started looking into yesterday in preparation to upgrading her 6s iPhone.

And several others:

I also discovered that no iOS 14 IPSW willll not install on her iPhone 6s using iMazing that I forgot to do so she may be staying with iOS 13 for a while. At least it works well and the battery lasts a decent amount of time.

The same thing is happening with my old 12.9" iPad Pro, so it may be staying with iOS 13 as well even though the software update says iOS 15 is available and waiting to get downloaded and installed. I don't know if I want to.

I have more checking to do... Now that iOS 15 has been released to the General Public and people have had a chance to use it. Especially on older IDevices . 😏

Oh for the good old days where things seemed to be much simpler and all this various security stuff is almost out of hand and almost out of control. 😒 😒 😏

- Patrick
=======

1 - 15 of 15 Posts