Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm resurfacing after quite a while. Noticed that while the movie thread seems to survive the test of time, the rise and fall of book threads seems to defy analysis.

Anyway, I've been on the road a lot this year, and have read more than my usual share of pulp.

Almost as a side-effect of the new (and final) Harry Potter book coming out, I was recommened Philip Pullman as a better, darker read and indeed it was so.
His Dark Materials Trilogy was my summer find! (in the children's section at Waterstone's, but nonetheless).
Philip Pullman

Other popular authors include Alexander McCall Smith - I seem to find the Isabel Dalhousie series the most fascinating.

Finally another good find earlier this year was Boris Akunin and his Erast Fandorin series - almost a new, struggling, Russian Sherlock Holmes.

Anyway, slightly eclectic mix - but hopefully, this thread survives the summer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome back,

My favourite read is dune, I love how much the character (Paul Atreides) changes and reflects the position he holds throughout the story. The Politic issues, family issues, issues with monarchy, control of oil (however controls the spice flow controls the universe, the same can be said about oil).

The prequels to the story of Dune have some very interesting concepts, but seeing as Frank Herbert did not write them (he's dead, based on his notes) it's not bad.

I'm interested in Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep to see how much the story differs between the movie(blade runner)/book, but I haven't gotten around to it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts