Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share my favourite bread recipe for all you ehMacers. I have a cheap Black & Decker bread machine, and I love the bread it puts out:

1 3/8 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oats, ground (sent through my coffee grinder)
1/4 cup flax, ground (again, sent through my coffee grinder)
1/4 cup wheat gluten (available at bulk food stores, like the Bulk Barn)
1 1/2 tbsp dry milk powder
2 tsp yeast

Add all the ingredients to your bread machine in that order, hit 1.5 lb loaf on the Whole Wheat cycle, and away you go. I usually load my machine up the night before, set the timer, and next morning I wake up to great bread.

P.S. Stephen Harper caused my last loaf of bread not to rise.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry folks, but bread machines make inferior bread. They can be handy for having some quick fresh bread ready without any effort first thing in the morning with the timer or for making something like pizza dough, but for any bread you want that actually has the qualities of good bread, forget it.
What a piece of arrogant crap.

Even the worst bread when fresh out of the oven with some butter melting on it is going to be somewhat mouth-watering, but my test for good bread is the taste and texture once it's cooled down and without anything on it. Truly good bread will have a delicious flavour without a spread of butter and for quite some time after being baked. The crust will be baked crusty and the crumb will be chewy and substantial. A bread machine simply can't do this.
Your opinion and a dollar are worth about a dollar. Your test for good bread is egotistical and arrogant. You rank right up there with people who judge wines and cheese, and mock those who like a $5 bottle of red with marble cheese.

Longer risings are the key to developing flavour and texture in the dough. Multi-day risings, especially the levain style that has become common from the "artisan" style bakeries that have proliferated in last decade or so really enhance the flavour of the grain. Even single day bread, using a sponge method will help this. Again, a bread machine can't accomplish this.
Good for your longer rising, multi-day, artisan blah blah blah. How many people actually care about any of that? Do you ever stand in a grocery store and lambast people for picking up a loaf of Wonder? "Hey you! With the Wonder Bread. You suck, 'cuz that bread doesn't have the enhanced flavour of the grain!"

Ya, I started this thread to talk about a favourite recipe, and you gotta come charging in with your 'Holier Than Thou" attitude when it comes to bread. Thanks dude for contributing positively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.