Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your fave extensions and why?? Funny, but since i've been starting to do some web dev, i've been using Firefox tons more (as per a reco from dev friend). But it never hit me to use extensions on Safari. So I'm just about to install a few right now.

Which are ehMacians using?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
The ones I couldn't live without:
AdBlock
1Password
Ghostery

The ones I'd be pissed to lose:
MacRumors Minimal
RedditMinimal
FeedButon
Ultimate Status Bar

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Hope this list continues to grow with maybe some details too

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Only use one. Namely, Click2Flash.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Adblock
BetterSource
InCognito
1Password
ClicktoFlash
Glims (which is really a plug-in)

This isn't an extension, but a bookmarklet and I have it installed on all my Macs. It's very handy when printing web pages:
The Printliminator

For web development, Firefox Firebug is indispensable. I've never found the Web Inspector in Safari quite as good for editing CSS.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
I run Safari with 'Extensions' switched off in Safari Preferences.
I just runs, quicker-smoother and oh so much more reliably this way.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I always use AdBlock and ClicktoFlash on every Mac. No ads and no Flash makes for a much more stable, secure, and faster running Mac.

I also use Translate so I can read websites in languages I don't understand.

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
This isn't an extension, but a bookmarklet and I have it installed on all my Macs. It's very handy when printing web pages:
The Printliminator
Thanks Paddy! I used to be able to do this with Safari (before the 5.1 update, I think?) using the "Inspect Element" feature, which - if it still exists - I've yet to find.

Supremely useful, as I frequently save news articles, etc., as PDFs and like to clean 'em up as much as possible before saving.

Great contribution! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
CubaMark: the "inspect element" feature still exists if you turn on the Develop menu in Safari -- once that's done, "inspect element" is just a right click away.

I use Adblock, Flickr Original, Daring Fireball with Comments, Invisible Hand (compares prices when you're on commerce sites), NoMoreiTunes (blocks iTunes Store links from triggering iTunes, shows them in browser instead -- for my work this is VITAL), HTML5 Audio, Less IMDB, FlickrPlus, WikiPics, 1Password, Social Fixer (for Facebook), Evernote Web Clipper (don't use it much though), gDirectLinks (prevents Google from using indirect referrer links in searches), Do Not Track Me (preferred over Ghostery), FastestTube, and currently testing BargainEZCoupons (which saved me some dosh on my most recent domain name renewals). On another account I have the Translate one for demo purposes, it never fails to amaze people.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CubaMark: the "inspect element" feature still exists if you turn on the Develop menu in Safari -- once that's done, "inspect element" is just a right click away.

I use Adblock, Flickr Original, Daring Fireball with Comments, Invisible Hand (compares prices when you're on commerce sites), NoMoreiTunes (blocks iTunes Store links from triggering iTunes, shows them in browser instead -- for my work this is VITAL), HTML5 Audio, Less IMDB, FlickrPlus, WikiPics, 1Password, Social Fixer (for Facebook), Evernote Web Clipper (don't use it much though), gDirectLinks (prevents Google from using indirect referrer links in searches), Do Not Track Me (preferred over Ghostery), FastestTube, and currently testing BargainEZCoupons (which saved me some dosh on my most recent domain name renewals). On another account I have the Translate one for demo purposes, it never fails to amaze people.
wow.

Does do they have any impact on your browser's speed and load times?? I'm sure there are more factors involved but just thought I would ask. I need to check some of these out. THX.

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
Hey chas_m, I do run the Develop menu - and I know it's much more powerful now than the previous iteration, but I've yet to encounter the right menu item to give me what I had with the old "Inspect Element" feature. Printliminator pretty much does exactly what I want, though :) I've found the Develop Menu and the "Start TImeline Recording" feature to be useful in grabbing some embedded media that otherwise has resisted capture.

And as for your extension list... HMOG! :yikes:

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Adblock. I don't leave home without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts