Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

I picked up a used iBook with the following config:

iBook 500MHZ, 66.7 Bus, 10 Gig, CD-Rom, 192 MG, OS 10.0.

The asking price was too good to let go.

It needed some TLC, so I installed more Ram (maxxing it 576 MB), OS 10.2.6, upgraded all software, got a combo drive and did a good screen and keyboard cleaning.

After using this machine for a while, I fell in love.

Albeit slower than my TiBook (which, BTW, was sold off last week), I like the size, screen and overall feel of this machine. It has the foot print of a piece of paper!!!!

It's one of the original "Ice-Books", and before I commenced the upgrading above, I looked into its config by visiting:

http://www.apple-history.com

I was slightly taken aback at its meager 66.7 bus speed (I thought all G3s were running at 100MHZ?), but have since not noticed any major crippling effects. RAM is the key in System 10.2.6 as I have learned from my fellow ehMac family members!

I am able to hook up an additional monitor like with my old TiBook and I find access to the ports much easier than the said G4 PowerBook.

I intended to fix this machine up and post on eBay, however I think it will stay with me for a while.

So. What about you other iBook owners? What do you have to say?

[ August 07, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: iLabmAn ]

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
i too love my "ice book"

i have the exact same set-up as yours but 640megs of ram instead of 576.

small and light and speedy as all get out in OSX. in fact its much speedier than the imac G4 i had!! of course the iumac only had 128 megs of ram

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I think that you cats can jump to just over 1G of ram. There's a 1G chip ou there. I know that's what I would do were I to get the 12"PB.

Just a quick Q? Downgrading from a TiBook to iBook? didn't need the power/speed? :confused: 1st gen iBook w/ no Combo (although could be added in via aftermarket grab), older vid card and a small HD? I also hear that the HDs are a little harder to replace than most. Just curious.

H!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I'm falling in live with iBooks too ;)

The iBook is absolutely awesome, I just wished it had more horsepower, and Apple goes back to the original keyboard. The design is wonderful, but you know something has gone wrong if MacWorld drops your 4 1/2 mice iBook to 3 1/2 mice largely because of the keyboard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have not one complaint about my 800MHz iBook. The speed, size & features are all perfect for me. And since I'm only using it to write articles, screenplays and surf the web, 384MB of RAM seems to be more than sufficient.

I'm still beaming.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i love my little white chiclet. :D

it's my baby. my bf who has the 17" PB scoffs at the size and calls it a "toy", but he cant even take his out of his apt. yet cause he can't find a big enough case. mine fits in anything. :D

no complaints. (although i do want to max it out to 640)

Phil.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know going from a TiBook (400MHZ G4) to a iBook (500MHZ G3) may sound a little ridiculous considering that I am giving up a lot that the G4 processor and the TiBook generally offers.

The video is only 8 MG compared to the newer 16MG iBook config as well.

However, I got a good deal. And, I'm happy.

Now.....gig RAM? Where? How? When? True?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is now day three with the iBook. I have it poised on my lap as we speak and it ain't scorching me precious.

Yup. My TiBook would be heating up right about now (10 minutes into use) and would force me to place it on the coffee table and having me cramp up on the carpet.

Enjoying life with iBook.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
re: RAM >> OOOPS! My bad. You can get the 1G chip for the 12"PB. This co in Germany does them, but they don't appear to be here yet. Thought so though... apologies.
H!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I used to have an iBook 500 but wanted one with 16mb video. I would say the one with 16mb video and the 100 FSB makes a huge difference. iBooks are great sturdy machines.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Icebook has made me happy also.
G3 500/20 gig/384/cdrw/dvd
I've spent much time in this machine,I replaced the mobo as some of you know.The HD really wasn't that hard and the CD was just as easy.You just really have to prepare and pay attention is all.If some of you don't mind running 9.2.2 it is WAY faster than X.Thats obvious.As well,OSX reports 2.5 on the battery where 9.2.2 reports 3.5.
Great investment for the price you pay.

I would definetly buy a second one with 100fsb,14lcd and 16VRAM.
Anybody want to downgrade?

I think the "Hotcrotch" feature on the PB is great for those winter days,but the Ice looks a little better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, I recently picked up a used iBook 600 14" with combo drive. My daughter has fallen in love with it. It was missing one key - which 'Heart' was kind enough to help me replace - and the bottom part of the latch is broken so it doesn't close. I've been quoted anywhere from $250 to $400 to fix it, and that's out of the question. I've heard that iBooks are very tricky to take apart. Can anyone offer me some advice - I'm pretty handy. I need the replacement part (do I need the whole trckpad case top?) and link to a good take-apart guide on the web - I haven't been able to find one.
Thanks folks!
Andrew

·
Registered
691 Posts
Go here for the take apart

PBooktech.com

I've taken apart mine a few times.2 important things is to 1-mark all the screw locations as it can be confusing
2-be careful when taking off the bottom and top cases.I spent 30 mins trying to take off the top cover only to find out that 1 screw was keeping it on there.

PM me if you need a hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts