Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the average (mean) hardware failure rate is for Superdrives? (Powerbook models)

I want to get an idea as to how many DVD burns you can expect to get from one before the hardware fails.

I just did a heavy session (about 32 DVDs) and I want to get an idea as to how durable the hardware is.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't think there is a set number of burns ;) its pretty hard to get an idea of when hardware will fail because of usage, heat and all those different issues between people.

Did you do 32 burns straight? If so there would have probably have been alot of extra heat in your powerbook which would cut the drives lifespan a bit.. Then again Apple tries to test their drives for heat issues so you could be fine.

Still I expect that if you spread out burn times there shouldnt be any problem.. oh and theres always apple care ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow 32 burns in 1 week? Thats alot of DVDs!

What are you burning if I may ask. And is there anyway to backup ones DVDs via a Mac? I have a collection of 300+ DVDs, im able to back them up on my PC but if I could use my Mac aswell it would certainly speed up the process...

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a set of home videos (visit from a teacher) that we had on DVD...

Nothing commercial...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ah cool. Im just worried for my collection, ive spent thousands of dollars on all those DVDs (Im my works #1 customer! :D )and well my family just LOVES to borrow them from the shelf, leave them somewhere, not handle them right... I would rather say to them "Here use these and don't touch my shelves"

But 300 DVDs would just take alot of my time.. :(

·
Registered
187 Posts
thanks insertclevername, don't worry I work in a video store so I get free rentals and therefore burning DVD which arnt mine doesn't make much sense to me. I mean I understand why people do it but I can always walk the 5 minutes to work and rent something for free anyways

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dr. G. -

I am not privy to Apple figures, but here is an example of what you can likely expect with regard to the working lifetime of a Superdrive at its current level of refinement (quality firewire drives often have MTBF's of 400,000 hours):

Toshiba Superdrive model SD-R5002 = 100,000 hours

1 - 9 of 9 Posts