Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any hands on experience with this as a PVR device. I see they are advertising a firewire device for release Jan 2004. :D :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the EyeTV USB, I love it

When I heard they were coming out with a FW EyeTV I thought, Hey, gotta get it!
But.......... It records in MPEG2 (MPEG1 for EyeTV USB) which takes almost twice the space to record a program. Right now it's about 640 MB for a one hour show, with the new EyeTV your looking at having one big Hard drive if you want to save any shows, or you could burn them I guess.
I don't have a CDR/RW drive and only a 40Gig HD in my PB so I'm limited.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey thanx for the heads up! I've been waiting for this, not trusting the Formac FireWire product.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The early reports on xlr8yourmac.com show that the new eyeTV products have some maturing to do. Stability and performance problems seem common.

Flawless video capture on a computer takes serious horsepower - PC or Mac. Multitasking is right out, and I've heard from PC people that they even disconnect from their network because the interrupts cause video glitches.

Of course, that can likely be attributed to Windows' architecture.

- Martin.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a PowerBook G3 500 Pismo.
I can watch/record TV, surf the internet, mail check every 30min with no hiccups, pic of my Desktop
I also have an ATI All in Wonder TV video card in my IBM that has a 550 AMD, and it sucks big time, definitely need some horsepower to run it.

By the way, if anyone has a PCI video card (ATI preferably) with 16Megs, Rage128 or better, I'd be willing to trade my All in Wonder with all the Acc. for it.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I have owned 2 different TV cards
My first was the AIT PCI Xclaim video based on a rage 128 16 mb video card
I loved it, and on my old 400mhz sawtooth, multitasking while viewing was no prob, but impossible while recording or compressing.
I also had the ATI USB XClaim TV , it worked not quiet as well as the PCI version, even in a faster mac, but it can be used on a Powerbook or iBook or iMac etc.
Nopw I have the MyTV from Eskape labs andnow after some updated software it is fantastic too.
Om my dual 1.25, I can multitask while recording, compressing etc.
This machine cuts through intensive tasks like a hot knife through butter., i can only guess how fast the G5s are.
I would imagine the Firewire Eye will be excellent once the bugs are worked out and that may take months after they are released and a fast Mac wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I should clarify my earlier statement. Capturing high-quality SVCD resolution with no glitches takes a substantial amount of CPU power. The minimum requirement for the eyeTV 200 is a 500MHz G4 and I bet it would be happiest if given a lot more than that...

- Martin.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually eyetv works just fine even when surfing, emailing, etc at the same time.

Even works well enough to capture high quality on my brothers iMac 500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.