Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting an EyeTv when my new pb finaly arrives.

Anyone has one? How is the image quality? I have seen the specs but I find it hard to believe that the quality can be as good as normal tv since its using an USB1 connector to the mac.

I was wondering if it couldnt be wiser to wait for them to built an improved version with USB2/Mpeg 4 encoding.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
The quality isn't anything to dance a jig about, but it's okay. I regularly record an hour TV show and burn it to VCD, and I honestly cannot tell the difference between that VCD and a VHS recording taped on LP. (the 6 hours per VHS tape setting) It's quite viewable to me, I always used to use the LP setting on my VCR for TV shows anyway. EyeTV allows for a higher quality than I use, but the resulting file is too large for burning a one hour show onto VCD.

The EyeTV software is really quite good too. I can edit out the commercials in no time before I burn a VCD, and programming the timer is simple.
Check the various reviews, it's hard to find one that doesn't like it.

-Howie

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does the software work with Canadian listings? I thought it didn't.

Please inform.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
You can use EyeTV with Watson to get the Canadian programming so I have read. I have never tried it though since all I have is satellite and I have to manually tune the receiver. I mainly use it to record programs and make VCD's and I think the quality is decent as well. The new version of the software makes SVCD's using Toast 6. I haven't tried it though.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I have to set the timer manually, Watson doesn't include TV listings for my particular region. This isn't a problem with Watson or EyeTV, but rather with various TV listings services throughout Canada to get with the times. Or so I've heard it said at least.

-Howie

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just bought the one that insertclevername had for sale. I like it, pause tv, instant replay, record programs...... :D
I don't have cable so I don't know about the tv listing programs, but I'm having fun with it. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the Formac product. It look nice but I see one big problem: it record in DV. Unless I am wrong, DV take a lot of HD space.

This mean that I wouldnt be able to record more than 2 hours of show on my computer which kinda sucks.

What I am looking for is something between the two products with a max file size of 2 gig per hour of show. I will keep looking and tell you if I see anything...

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm also interested it this topic.
I noticed that both gwillikers and jordan are from BC,
so I'm wondering what service I could get in Ontario either
with the Formac product or the EyeTV.
Anyone use either of these in Ontario?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Now that I've had the EyeTV for a while now, I'm even more impressed with it.
I was able to hook up my wireless security camera to it, so I can see and record anything happening on my property on my PB. The TV setting will pick up Antenna or cable with the Auto Tune feature, I have only Antenna.
The manual and preset recording works great.
You can set up to record programs on a daily or weekly schedule. Just make sure your Mac isn't sleeping when EyeTV is running, because it won't wake up to record the program.
Just a little more info, though you might want to know. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually with updated eyetv software it does wake from sleep. There is also some program to stream eyetv over a network, forgot what it was called, but I saw it versiontracker.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Was just curious are the Can channels available on some sort of TV guide or is it limited to the states channels
:D :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
hi, i have been looking for this link all night and finally found it. i want to know if the product and s/w is fairly reliable and recommeded? will you get the remote too?
i've read reviews of similar products etc @:
http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0211/rev.tvrs.html
and i think this is what i want to pair with my superdrive to make a dvd/tv/hd recorder.
does the resulting dvd have better quality than a regular SP vcr or dv?
please let me know more of your eye tv hands on experience. thanks !

[ November 29, 2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: rollee ]

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Well, that MacAddict review pretty well says it all. The EyeTV is as good as VHS quality and no more. It's mpeg-1, which isn't very high quality, but the price is in keeping with that. The software is constantly being improved and works great. Editing the mpeg-1 video is easy and everything is logical and easy to use.

If you're looking to do high quality digital video, this is not the tool. But for watching TV on your Mac, recording VHS quality TV shows, and for archiving old video tapes to your HD... it's pretty darn good.

The remote is sold seperately by the way.

-Howie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts