Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Are there any users on the board who have, or know someone who has, used EyeTV. I'm curious about the quality of the picture. The requirements on the web site merely say any Mac that can use 10.1.5, but it makes no mention if there is quality issues between different Macs.

Just curious.

James

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
My buddy at work has one and he loves it
I will have to ask him what he thinks of the quality etc.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Ive been using the ATI usb tv tuner for the last year, but it wont work in x so when I get my next machine it will go by the way of the dodo
Still I was satisfied with the performance of it,
james , I think eye tv is better than the ATI because they compress the video before it is past on to the usb
I have been thinking of getting the hollywood dazzle dv box so i can do connect up analog devices and a vcr to get tv and any other realtime input through firewire.

The only issue I would have with Eye Tv is that you actually view the signal a few seconds delayed due to the time it takes to compress it before it goes to your machine.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thanks for the information. So far, it has been very useful.

I've never heard of the Hollywood Dazzle Bridge before, so I looked up the web page. It seems pretty cool, but I don't think I want to spend an extra $100 US to get it. I think the EyeTV model is more in my price range at the moment.

Plus, I think it does more than what I need. All I really want to do is to be able to watch TV and/or record programs so I can watch them later on my iBook. Also, I don't want to buy a TV, which is why I'm concerned about the picture quality.

James

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
James
I have recorded the odd show on my iMac with the ATI tuner and the picture quality and sound quality are fine on viewing, but I save then compress the shows witha quicktime compression and they lose some quality, I would think that Eye is better than this, because it does it with hardware on the fly.
I would go for it if its the kind of thing you want.
Its really too bad ATI isnt going with osx on its product, because their unit is so cheap. I would like to make some qt movies of old video tapes so the dazzle might do that better.
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.