Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've begun to debate whether or not to consider laser corrective eye surgery in two years or so, and would like to hear from the people who have had this correction done, post-surgery results and problems (if any), and related issues. I currently have sub-poor non-corrective vision (only a few several feet before my vision is completely unfocused), but sport 20/20 vision corrected. I have no real problems with glasses, but may require my non-corrected vision to be improved for a career in a new field. (min. 20/40 non-corrected.) I haven't actually had my non-corrected vision tested (in terms of where I stand on the 20/20 field - what my exact numbers would be), but it's unlikely to be in the approved range. Any thoughts and tips? :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
My sister had it done a while back, and I'll probably end up doing the same eventually. She hasn't had any problems. I'm sure you're aware of the effects on night vision, so I'm guessing that's not going to effect your career possibilities?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
It absolutely astounds me that people think nothing of losing their night vision. That is but step one in the gradual deterioration of sight as you age with this procedure. Glasses and contacts were invented for a reason. Please wear them.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It absolutely astounds me that people think nothing of losing their night vision. That is but step one in the gradual deterioration of sight as you age with this procedure. Glasses and contacts were invented for a reason. Please wear them.
I agree. As much as I dislike wearing my glasses at times, this is still a relatively new procedure. I would prefer to see the results of long term studies ( 20+ years after ) to see what all the ramifications are before even thinking about having it done.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Glasses and contacts were invented for a reason. Please wear them.
Indeed..

The idea of letting someone regrind your one and only set of lenses creeps me out completely. I won't even touch contacts as I had an eye doctor in my youth (longer ago than I care to remember... when I can remember.. ;) ) who , when asked by me about contacts went berserk over the potential for infections, etc., etc., etc., as in "if you want to stick your fingers in your eyes every day you can get yourself another eye doctor" to a degree that has stuck with me for life... I am sure he overstated his case, however the message came across clearly.

A visual artist of my acquaintance had the laser thing done and seemed satisfied initially, however as time has worn on she is becoming concerned that her vision is not quite as sharp as it once was and her night vision has deteriorated to the point that she no longer drives after dusk.

Don't do it..

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
That's a rather ignorant statement. There are many reasons people may choose laser vision correction. Sometimes the only way to properly correct an extreme vision problem is with lasers. Not everybody wants to wear coke-bottle glasses.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
That's a rather ignorant statement. There are many reasons people may choose laser vision correction. Sometimes the only way to properly correct an extreme vision problem is with lasers. Not everybody wants to wear coke-bottle glasses.
Not nearly as ignorant as letting vanity make a decision that might indeed cost you some or all of your vision when older. With today's lens compression technology, there is no need for anyone to wear "coke-bottle bottom' glasses. Perhaps you were not aware that modern lenses no longer carry that image thanks to improved technology?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Sinc, is correct. As well, if you need such an extreme lense configuration, as I do, laser surgery is of no value. The astigmatism which I have is so severe that there is no way any reputable clinic would accept me for laser surgery. So, I change my prescription each year, with thin and light plastic lenses. Having worn glasses since I was 8 years old, I am used to them. Sadly, even contact lenses are out for me. Such is Life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts