Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Yesterday I replaced my PMG5's measly 250 GB HardDrive with a 1TB WD Blue Caviar HardDrive. I popped in the Leopard install disk and installed Leopard. It installed just fine and rebooted. There was the awesome intro video and I entered all my info. Then I'm at the last panel of the installer and I hit Go! ....which takes me back to the intro video and then to the "Enter Your Personal Info" panels. Making it to the end and hitting Go! restarts the process all over again. Thinking it was some sort of problem relating to the internet, I disconnected my Ethernet port just before hitting Go! which did the trick :D. The first thing I do is go to Software Update and I downloaded all of the software, but... it gave me an odd error: The digital signature for this package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with or corrupted since being signed by "Apple". OK, I think, time for REAPIR DISK PERMISSIONS :D which I do, I reboot in Safe Mode, it still doesn't work :/ So, I download the updates via Apple website. Which solves that problem. But, while rebooting, instead of the Apple logo, there is a scrambled square of pixels. Also, Safari crashes more frequently than normal, and I can't download anything, because if I do it says: verification failed and then either shows: Operation could not be completed. (SafariErrorDomain error 1) OR Operation could not be completed. (SafariErrorDomain error 2)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Does anybody know what's going on with my computer?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,149 Posts
It sounds like you might want to shut down and double check ALL internal connections including the video card and display connections.

Then, do a "nuke and pave": partition the drive again with the APM format option and install the Mac OS and all the COMBO Updates and a final Software Update check and install.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked everything inside the computer- I checked the Video Card, made sure the hard drive was connected well, checked that the ram was in properly, checked that the fans we're in their proper places and unplugged and plugged back in my display connector. When I booted, Finder (the application) was not running, and did not start when I clicked on the Finder icon, relaunching finder also didn't work. Every other application I opened crashed in 10 seconds or so. I gave up and tried to do a fresh install, (in APM format), but in the end it gave me an error stating- the source media you are installing from is damaged. I cleaned the disk, and put it back in and tried to install again (numerous times) but it still shows me the same error.

·
Premium Member
16,149 Posts
Mmmm ... errr... maybe the notice you got - "the source media you are installing from is damaged" may give you a hint of the possible problem.

Or maybe they should suggest using some blunt instrument on the user to understand the installer message???

Gheese!!!

Edit: Maybe also the reason there were no other replies considering some of your previous install problems.

Bottom line: Use the proper, appropriate and legit Mac OS OS install disks for a start. And I think we've tried to help you with your previous help install problem and posts numerous times now.

·
Wescoastie in exile
255 Posts
I checked everything inside the computer- I checked the Video Card, made sure the hard drive was connected well, checked that the ram was in properly, checked that the fans we're in their proper places and unplugged and plugged back in my display connector. When I booted, Finder (the application) was not running, and did not start when I clicked on the Finder icon, relaunching finder also didn't work. Every other application I opened crashed in 10 seconds or so. I gave up and tried to do a fresh install, (in APM format), but in the end it gave me an error stating- the source media you are installing from is damaged. I cleaned the disk, and put it back in and tried to install again (numerous times) but it still shows me the same error.
Hmm, the only time I've ever seen a pixelated square in place of the logo it was the result of a corrupted os... if you're getting source media errors I would think that the actual copy of Leopard you're trying to install might be damaged... is it an original Leopard install or a burned copy (don't be offended by the question if it's real)? Reason i ask is Leopard's initial release was one of the first dual-layer commercial DVD's and I've seen a few instances where people copied it, had it claim to copy fine, only to be unable to get a working install from it (similar issues to what you're describing). If it is an original then maybe try zeroing the drive with disk utility and reinstalling... if that doesn't work perhaps call Apple and see if they'll send you a replacement os for that specific machine (couldn't even speculate on the cost here though)? Other possibles are a failing core, HD or RAM, but I would go software first.

·
Premium Member
16,149 Posts
Assuming no hardware problems, MacMagicianJunior's suggestion to "call Apple and see if they'll send you a replacement OS for that specific machine" is good, and I ended having to do so a year± ago when neither of the two 10.5.x Leopard original retail install disks I had would work properly with our G4 MDD dual boot 1.25 GHz Mac and for less than $20.00 they would send me a newer 10.5.x install disk.

While awaiting for the delivery of the new 10.5.x install disk, and in a possibly wine induced state I recalled an old PPC problem that too much installed RAM could prevent the install from completing properly, and it may not help the OP's problem, but I pulled the two 512 MB RAM chips and booted with just the original 128 MB chip and the 10.5 install and updates worked as expected!!!

When all the Mac OS 10.5.8 stuff was installed and updated, the extra two 512 MB chips were installed and the G4 MDD is still working to this day as expected.

Just a thought.... and maybe the G5's have a similar 10.5.x Mac OS install quirk.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the DVD at MidTown Digital, and yes it's a burned copy. They said that it was perfectly legal with a Snow Leopard license. So they gave me a legit Snow Leopard DVD as well. The burned Leopard DVD worked perfectly fine when I formated and upgraded the 250GB HardDrive from Tiger, so I don't get why it wouldn't work with this 1TB harddrive. They're both Blue Caviar. 2.5GB of RAM might be what's causing the quirk, so I'll take out the 512MB and try again in the morning. Yep, all of my computers that I've ever owned are plauged with problems. I've always thought that switching to the Mac would change this, but it hasn't :S

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, removing 512MB didn't work. Neither did removing 1GB or 2GB

·
Wescoastie in exile
255 Posts
Nope, removing 512MB didn't work. Neither did removing 1GB or 2GB
I just wanted to make sure you know that RAM in that G5 needs to be matched pairs installed from the inner slots out (first pair in what would be from the top slots 4 and 5, second pair in 3 and 6 etc...).

Since you said it has 2.5 gigs I'm assuming 2x256MB in one pair of slots and 2x1GB in a second pair right?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to make sure you know that RAM in that G5 needs to be matched pairs installed from the inner slots out (first pair in what would be from the top slots 4 and 5, second pair in 3 and 6 etc...).

Since you said it has 2.5 gigs I'm assuming 2x256MB in one pair of slots and 2x1GB in a second pair right?
Thanks, I figured that out this morning. Removing only the 1GB prevented the G5 from starting up. And yes, I have 2x 1GB and 2x 256MB.

·
Wescoastie in exile
255 Posts
Thanks, I figured that out this morning. Removing only the 1GB prevented the G5 from starting up. And yes, I have 2x 1GB and 2x 256MB.
Well with that out of the running (and the 250GB drive working perfectly) and the disks installing correctly on the 250GB drive the culprit would seem to be the 1TB drive. Try zeroing it and reinstalling one last time... if that doesn't work you may have to replace the drive.

·
Premium Member
16,149 Posts
I would sure be suspicious of the install disk you got, especially considering the source error notice you got.

But you may want to check the drive manufactured for any needed jumper setting, (watch me get shot down and be told I'm an idiot), as your G5 uses 1.5 Gb/s and some of the later 3 and 6 Gb/s SATA drives may need to have the jumper set and to set it to use the forced 1.5 Gb/s speed.

PS: Some of the WD drives I believe had incorrect info on the label for the jumper positions.

Maybe Just an odd chance that the new HD and the G5 aren't quite communicating at the same level or speed????

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the packaging I see SATA-3G, I'm going assume that they meant 3Gb/s. Alright, I'm going to pop a jumper on the 5th and 6th pins and try again.

·
Wescoastie in exile
255 Posts
I would sure be suspicious of the install disk you got, especially considering the source error notice you got.
Me too, but if it installed on a 250GB I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't on a 1TB...

But you may want to check the drive manufactured for any needed jumper setting, (watch me get shot down and be told I'm an idiot), as your G5 uses 1.5 Gb/s and some of the later 3 and 6 Gb/s SATA drives may need to have the jumper set and to set it to use the forced 1.5 Gb/s speed.
It's worth a shot...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got "check source media" again after putting a jumper on. I returned the DVD and got a dual layered one and still I have the same problem

·
Premium Member
16,149 Posts
Huh...??? You "returned the DVD and got a dual layered one"???

All Mac OS 10.5.x Leopard install disks were DL with aprox. 7+ GB of data to install.

The only non DVD and/or DL Mac OS install disks I know of were from a special Apple ordered set for 10.4.x that came on multiple CDs.

I'd really question your Mac setup AND the Apple support dealer that you're working with, and the word "dealer" would be my concern - and maybe that's just what they are. ???

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not all G5s can boot off of dual layer burned disks in there internal drives, have you tried booting from an external cd drive that is newer?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh...??? You "returned the DVD and got a dual layered one"???

All Mac OS 10.5.x Leopard install disks were DL with aprox. 7+ GB of data to install.

The only non DVD and/or DL Mac OS install disks I know of were from a special Apple ordered set for 10.4.x that came on multiple CDs.

I'd really question your Mac setup AND the Apple support dealer that you're working with, and the word "dealer" would be my concern - and maybe that's just what they are. ???
As stated somewhere above, the disk was a burned copy that I got with a license (Snow Leopard disk) at MidTown Digital.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not all G5s can boot off of dual layer burned disks in there internal drives, have you tried booting from an external cd drive that is newer?
I can boot off the disk, I just can't install to my 1TB harddrive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.