Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Extremely not impressed with the address book.

8K views 92 replies 22 participants last post by  jfpoole 
#1 ·
It sucks.

See less See more
#5 ·
Everything sucks when you are new.
What dont ya like?I thought it was pretty cool.

well i don't think I'd go *that* far. I've been pretty open minded actually. But this address book...just not user friendly at all. Picky to import to, just kinda lame in general. I know I should be more specific, but I can't be. it just has this overall lame, non user friends feeling.

#11 ·
I think they are meaning "17" PowerBook" which is often referred to as the 17" AlBook (for the Aluminimum case).

TiBooks were the predecessor (15.2" screens)

And as or the suckage level of the Address Book.

I like it, however, I don't think it's the most versatile.

I do agree that importing is a bit unintuitive, but I also discovered a few nifty things about it.

1. Drag & Drop

You can drag a VCard database file into the second column window and have it automatically import. Exporting can be similarly as easy by dragging one or more selections to another application or even just the desktop (or my iPod!)

But iSync is also useful for that too...

2. LDAP functionality

At work (Adobe) the database of names and numbers are in an LDAP directory on a server somewhere. With the proper info added, I can do a search in LDAP for anyone at Adobe. It also propagates that information in Mail.app without even opening the address book.

3. Pictures!

Again, drag & drop or click and choose... Have headshots added to an entry. or maybe a logo. So, I'm easy to amuse.

4. Versatility

There is a fair bit of customizational ability within the card/entry itself. Adding or removing fields are pretty easy and unused fields don't show when in view mode.

So Pam? What did you want your Address Book to do for you? Is it *just* importing that's the problem or is there some desired feature missing? (Or maybe cleverly hidden under 63 submenus?)

:cool:

#13 ·
Gee Pamela you sure are grouchy about your new Mac.

Once thing's for sure about Address Book: it sucks less than it did in 10.0 and 10.1! I would have stuck with the address book in Entourage, but for one important omission: the ability to sync with isync.

Having used it for a while, the thing I've learned to love about Address Book is how you can get the phone numbers to show up in large type on your screen. Just mouse over the text to the left of the phone number and then click with the mouse. Very helpful for me when dialing.

The thing is low-tech and low-featured and it works. Anything more and it would be useless ornamentation, IMHO.

#14 ·
Addressbook has some quirks but its also available, system-wide to all Cocoa-based apps. For example, Safari sucks out address info for the auto-fill feature.

But, the best thing about address book (which no Windows wimps can do!!!) is that its BlueTooth aware. Pair up your phone and activate the BT icon and incoming SMS's are displayed on-screen and you can reply from the Mac. Ultra cool. Of course, you need a compatible phone (like the T68i) and BlueTooth (but that's built into the 17" AlBook).

Sometimes Apple presumes its users are on the same wavelength and the interface simplicity hides the sophistication of the actual application. Although many aspects of the OS X interface are obvious, its a lot more that Aqua-skin deep.

#15 ·
Well, nobody's forcing you to use the Address Book. I hope you don't have the classic Wintel mentality which believes the only stuff for Mac comes from Apple. The Palm desktop software has a calendar/address book that is pretty good (and free). There's also Now Contact, and Chronos Organizer, all very good alternatives. Some of these products even use Apple's address book file so other apps, like Mail and iChat, can still automatically search and query for people.

I think it's probably in Apple's best interests not to make Address Book *too good* - it may tick off the third party developers. It does what I need it to, though, so I use it. The only part that bugs me is having to click "Edit", wait a second, and then edit the entry, and click "Edit" again to save the changes.

Anyway, good luck Pamela. Don't let anyone accuse you of having a closed mind. You seem to be giving everything an honest try and voicing valid criticisms. Well, once pressured for them - "It sucks" doesn't carry much weight. ;) . Also, be sure to send your criticisms to feedback@apple.com so they can improve their stuff too.

#18 ·
First of all...I know what a TiBook is....do you think I'm stupid? Apparently some of you haven't heard of "sarcasm" LOL! I paid too much for my laptop for it to be called a Tibook that's for sure!

And Strongblade...thank you for pointing out the features of the address book. I must say, I have to get used to the fact that apple "hides" a lot of their features...and trust me...i spend hours trying to get my address book to import my hundreds of vcards and so i checked *many* submenus...but for some reason i can't seem to drag and drop....anything...pictures, addresses...you name it. I have to manually type everything in!!? That's why I'm saying it sucks.

I hope you don't have the classic Wintel mentality which believes the only stuff for Mac comes from Apple

and you better hope I don't hunt you down and kick your butt for saying something so insulting to me. Do you think I would have spent over $10,000 in apple hardware if I was stuck in any mentality other than switching and being happy to do so? I'm not a dumb ass...I know what's out there for the mac.

The point is, I have had nothing but trouble trying to get my address book to be just that...and address book. It shouldn't take this much tweaking and be this stubborn. I mean I'm not asking for much out of my address book...don't need bluetooth or any advanced features other than it being able to import and drag and drop. But it hasn't been able to do either of those yet. I think have a right to complain and say I'm unsatisfied with the "free" "program". Haven't I paid enough?

and EhMax...thank you for the alternate suggestion...that was what I was looking for. I don't mind to pay for something that works for me.

#20 ·
Hey Pamela... your "fresh view of the Mac" is the kind of feedback Apple really wants to hear! Please send some of your feedback to Apple. They DO listen to their customers most of the time. I think Address Book has potential and it'd be nice if they polished it up. I like how other apps have access to the Address Book.

Also, this may not help Pamela, but there are two tools I found useful (We're lucky to have such a great Shareware community to fill any holes)

Address Book Exporter is nice to export your Address Book files as Tab Deliminated files.

And there is Address Book Importer to do the reverse.

#22 ·
... and you better hope I don't hunt you down and kick your butt for saying something so insulting to me. Do you think I would have spent over $10,000 in apple hardware if I was stuck in any mentality other than switching and being happy to do so? I'm not a dumb ass...I know what's out there for the mac.
Zoweeeee !

Peter S. and Dr. G., may I suggest that de-caf ONLY beverages be served in the Clubhouse? For the safety of members and to avoid messy police investigations, which invariably produce lots of bad press.
:cool:

#24 ·
PGant,

If it's possible to access Entourage contacts programmatically, then it should be fairly straightforward to write an Entourage <-> Address Book sync utility. Getting information in and out of the Address Book programmatically is a breeze, after all.

Hmmm, I'll have to look into this....

#25 ·
I agree with Pam. Can I call you Pam? Oh sure I can, we're all friends here. ;)

Now, I don't want to suggest that I don't want to hear about Pam's exploits, but is there a way to merge all these Pam-threads into one "Switcher Pam" thread or something? Too many things going on.

And yes, I also agree that Address Book sucks wind.
Entourage is the best way to go...especially if you want to feel a smooth transition from something like PC Outlook or something.

But Pam, I must also agree with Patrick and a few others on here, you do seem extremely negative/grumpy/unhappy for someone who just purchased "more than $10,000 of Apple hardware." I would have expected a little more happiness shining through.

I mean...you have the biggest and best laptop on the planet AND a frickin' 23" HD Apple cinema display...not to mention the best damned tech support/shoulders to cry on in the world (read: ehMac). Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.

Smile more...you'll like it.
:D

And yes...Address Book sucks. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.