Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also...to go along with my new 17" powerbook, I've purchased an extreme base station.

A friend warned me yesterday to turn it off when I'm not using it, and to not keep it too close to me. He was talking about the negative health effects of this type of technology. He says this base station kicks out a lot of juice which could be harmful to ones health.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this? Anybody have more info to help me make an informed decision?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pamela wrote:
A friend warned me yesterday to turn it off when I'm not using it, and to not keep it too close to me. He was talking about the negative health effects of this type of technology.

Yay Google!

Apple And Cisco Systems Acknowledge Potential Health Hazards Associated With Wireless<blockquote>You should use wireless equipment in a way that minimizes human contact during normal operation. The AirPort Base Station is designed to be used at a distance greater than 20 cm.</blockquote>

Creatives Look to Wireless Networking as the Next Big Thing, Problems Remain<blockquote>The fact that wireless networks use radio frequencies (RF) raises some safety concerns. Although vendors claim that the output power of wireless LAN systems is very low, Briney says questions remain about whether this RF energy, which will be passing through people's bodies on a daily basis, will create a long-term health hazard.</blockquote>

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned because even if in 20 years they do find out that the original forms or wireless were slightly harmful, as long as you aren't camped on top of the station, you should be ok...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It is less harmful than using a Cell phone. Unless you regularly stick the active base station to your ear.

Trust me. it's not really as dangerous as the hype will probably make it out to be. I've been using technology like this for years and I turned out nerfectly pormal.

;)

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
There's a lot of debate on the issue, which should tell you something (ie it's hard to find what, if any affect it has. If it were truly dangerous, we'd know more about it, cuz we'd all have 2 heads or something by now).

It's probably a good idea to minimize your exposure to RF energy. Having said that, nobody knows what the deal is, really.

If you think about it, we are constantly bomboarded by radio and other energy. If every molecule in the air wasn't vibrating at RF frequencies, radio and TV (just to name two of perhaps millions) wouldn't work. What excites the air also excites all the molecules that make up a human body.

Just don't sleep with it under your pillow at night and you'll probably be OK.

The old 802.11b used 2.4 GigaHertz, which is the same band as some portable phones, your microwave oven, and a few other things. The ~.11g is twice that frequency, to avoid interference with the once empty and now popular 2.4GHz band.

In any case, it's going to get worse, not better. Worry about things you can do something about; if you went back to candlelight and moved to the woods you would still be bombarded with radio energy (a lot of it isn't man-made, either). If Apple says 20cm then just follow the advice and then forget about it.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:

I'd say don't use it as a pillow at night; a normal pillow might shield you enough that it'd still be okay :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:

The old 802.11b used 2.4 GigaHertz, which is the same band as some portable phones, your microwave oven, and a few other things. The ~.11g is twice that frequency, to avoid interference with the once empty and now popular 2.4GHz band.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to reports I have seen, you would have to tape it to your head in order to see anything happen, and even then they are not sure what might happen.

And actually, 802.11g (AirPort Extreme, still not technically an aproved standard) operates in the 2.4Ghz band which is how it is backwards compatible with 802.11b (AirPort, which uses the same band).

It's 802.11a that uses the 5GHz, which is why Apple has started using 802.11g because how many existing AirPort users would feel a little jerked off if suddenly the new hardware was TOTALLY incompatible with their old computers.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
PosterBoy, I suddenly realized a week or so last week why when I used the microwave to heat up some coffee, my wireless internet connection with my Linksys modem would be interrupted. I have four university degrees and it took me four months to figure this out. Just goes to show you that university education does not alway equate with intelligence.........or common sense. C'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Doc, It must be an old Microwave, because my 10 year old radiation box doesnt interfere with my wireless at all. Either that, or the Linksys you are using is highly sensitive to radiation.

I also have a 2.4 GHz phone that doesnt interfere, and i am sure that my neighbours have at least a few devices that operate in the same bandwidth.

Wierd.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Other possibilities of interference in the Gigaband are DSS systems (eg ExpressVu) and the cable from the dish to the reciever; some wireless remotes; and X10 home automation systems.

Powerlines and the like are generally hash-inducers.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
PosterBoy and gordguide, live and learn. I am situated here at my dining room table between the kitchen (microwave) and family room (Star Choice). Still, it is the microwave (7 years old) that causes the temporary interference. When it has to be on for a few minutes, I just take the doxies out for a walk. Thanks for the additional info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
PosterBoy and gordguide, live and learn. I am situated here at my dining room table between the kitchen (microwave) and family room (Star Choice). Still, it is the microwave (7 years old) that causes the temporary interference. When it has to be on for a few minutes, I just take the doxies out for a walk. Thanks for the additional info.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:cool:
Well lets just say you are lucky you don't live near me, RF you have no idea
I know i create havoc and those who will be using wireless pc's are going to have problems when i fire up arrays on 70cm & 1296mhz oh and soon 832
-- output is from 500 to 2000 watts of power thru antennas with gains of 15 to 25db 50 to 100ft up.
Now if you stand within 25 to 50 feet of them it will fry your brain i mean cook it, so the small amount of rf put out by wireless is quite safe for normal use.
cell phones are a bigger problem than wireless.

The pioneers of wireless is from the Ham world which i was involved with and still am.

thx 73 - 88 - ...- . ...-- .. --.. -.--

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Generally the DSS doesn't provide much interference in a properly installed system. Still, Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) is one of those things you have to hunt down, exploring all possibilities; in this way it's similar to AC hum in audio. You could say that the solution is different in every case, so it's worthwhile mentioning DSS because it could provide an "Eureka!" for somebody, somewhere.

If you use the correct cable through your entire DSS system, it will generally be well-behaved. A lot of users run the satt into the house and then plug into the stuff the cable company installed, which will generate RFI.

That's one reason why they test and sometimes replace the installed cable when you get Cable Internet. These guys don't spend money if they don't have to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts