Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
}<-('o')-
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new iMac now but saved the old 2TB HD from my now retired Mac Pro. Now I am attempting to move files from the HD to the iMac...specifically the iPhoto libraries.
I have the old HD installed in and connected to the iMac via an external drive mechanism.

When I first tried to open iPhotos on the new iMac, it couldn't find the iPhoto libraries (because the HD wasn't yet physically connected). Now it is connected and this drive has been chugging away for hours without much in the way of apparent progress.

For awhile it seemed to be busy indexing....now that progress bar seems to have disappeared, so perhaps that means it's done indexing. Now it just seems to be chugging away without any libraries or new photos appearing in iPhoto.

I'd be comfortable letting it chug away here (I know there are almost 2TB of photos to work through) BUT....the unit is getting very hot - I'm guessing I could fry an egg on it. Should I let it continue chugging and contribute to global warming? Or is this an indication that it's stuck and I would be better off just aborting this attempt via a force quit or a probably required (hard shut down) ??

Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
What method are you using to move the files, KC?

·
}<-('o')-
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tried to move any libraries yet... but I did try to move-to-pictures and export-to-pictures individual files. Strangely, neither action made the files show up in my iPhoto library.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts