Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is LaCie the best way to go for external HDDs? My girlfriend has 120 GB LaCie (USB 2.0) and so far it seems to be wonderful, any contrasting opinions? I know there's some issues associated with Panther and some manufacturers of firewire drives...your wisdom is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
LaCie is certainly a good choice since they have a long history of working well with the Mac platform. They may not be the most economical choice however. It may be cheaper to buy a firewire and/or USB case and put the drive in it yourself.

I think the jury is still out on Panther and Firewire issues. It seems that most of the problems are related to the latest firewire 800 products, but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Although LaCie products may come at a slight premium, I'll continue to pay the price for peace of mind. LaCie's products are among the best in the industry and their support is top notch.

The current Firewire 800 issues have been addressed by LaCie with the recent release of a firmware update. And for those who are still running OS 9, or are able to boot into OS 9, a firmware update is available for the 400 drives at their site.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, I'm willing to pay for "peace of mind" reliability. I am intersted in building my own external hard drive, that way I have control over the quality of the hard drive etc. and can make repairs myself (opening a PowerBook or a LaCie external would probably void the warranty and scares the s--t out of me). Can I just purchase a firewire interface or kit that enables me to hook up a standard ATA HDD? Or perhaps I could build a dual disk RAID set-up with a firewire interface. A SCSI interface is also of interest to me.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Do it yourself external cases are pretty easy to set up. It's no more difficult than installing an internal drive in your computer. You need to set the drive to master in the external case, otherwise it's just plug in the cable and go.

In the Toronto area you can get a Firewire 400 case for under $100. A combo case with Firewire 400 and USB2 will run a little over $100. You can use just about any ATA drive you want. The only issue may be the larger hard drives over 120Gig. I seem to recall some of the older cases may not play nice with large drives.

You can also use the large external cases for CD Burners too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts