Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
Stick with HFS+ Journaled, as Sinc discovered trying to format a non-SSD drive to APFS can cause weird things to happen and not weird in a good way.

I have never used time machine so no idea how well having APFS on the main SSD drive combines with TM on HFS. That said it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a couple of 4 TB HDD’s and am trying to figure out the best way to utilize them. I use both Time Machine, SuperDuper for cloning and ChronoSync for backing up. Is there any issues with partitioning a 4TB drive into (2) 2TB partitions- one for Time Machine and 1for SUperDuper. They’ll be seen as 2 distinct drives,right?TB flash internal drive filled to half capacity. What is the desired size of partition for a Time Machine backup?

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
All of my HDs are partitioned. Time Machine should limit its effects to its assigned Volume. That said be alert should it ask if you want to use another Volume (partition) for TM back-up.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropped my new WD Blue 4TB HDD into my USB Hard Drive caddy and initialized to Journalled and then partitioned into 3 volumes.
Unmounted it and installed it into my OWC Mercury Elite AL Pro enclosure. On booting up, only a 1TB volume is mounting and, Disk Utility sees on that. Strangely, Disk Utility is showing my internal Mac drive as sharing 4 volumes, which, adds up to 5TB (my internal 1 TB and external 4TB.
What gives? How should I find and mount those other 2 volumes I created?

Now, I'm wondering what's up with my other drive which I'm sending back to amazon.ca. It, too, was a 4TB drive which, according to Disk Utility, was only showing as a 2TB drive. I'm thinking...is there some sort of limitation for the size of external drives? Although, why did Disk Utility see it as a 4TB at first and allow me to partition it? Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a bit of investigating, looks like this is the issue. Bummer. My USB caddy is seeing all the volumes but not my OWC Mercury Elite AL Pro (Firewire). From what I read, that 2TB volume is going to have to go down to just under 2TB to be safe. I can't seem to readjust that volume. It keeps reverting to 2TB. How does one erase the entire physical drive to start over?

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I manages to repartition by using a different volume name. Unfortunately, even a volume slight under 2TB is not allowing all the volumes to mount when enclosed in my OWC enclosure. It only sees one volume. Now I'm stuck using the drives in my USB caddy. I don't suppose theres a way to get the enclosure to work with it.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wondering now if I should try formatting the drives in exFAT according to advice on this link.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/12623

Might not be a good idea, though, for cloning and Time Machine.

So far, my USB caddy is doing okay with my 3 volumes but my Mac is only mounting 1 volume with my OWC enclosure.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, could this be the issue I'm dealing with? I know that there are issues with recognizing volumes larger than 2TB.
I have only formatted these 2 drives with Extended Journalled.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure enough, OWC tells me it's the older chipset in my enclosure that isn't allowing me to see the 4TB. Looks like I'll have to splurge on an updated one.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Sure enough, OWC tells me it's the older chipset in my enclosure that isn't allowing me to see the 4TB. Looks like I'll have to splurge on an updated one.
Yes, older enclosures have the 2TB limitation just like some computers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts