Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i've had panther about a week now, and there's only one conclusion...expose is brilliant. the graphics power in modern OSes finally used to actually increase productivity.

the "zooming" effect isn't just eye candy; it really makes a difference -- at the very least, it tells you where the frontmost window goes in the real estate of the screen, and i think one remembers the position in which they left their windows...

wow.

anyway, i've found some nice things about expose that people might or might not know --

press F9 to activate expose, then CMD-~ (tilde). scrolls through each app with "all windows in app" functionality

also, CMD-TAB in expose mode allows you to cycle directly to "all windows in" a specific app

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Yeah, man. Expose is incredibly useful! maks me want to get a multi-button (more than the two I have) mouse.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with you.

In Jaguar, I would juggle windows, by hiding applications and unhiding them. Not elegant or efficient but it worked. Now with Exposé and the new better Command-Tab interface (not stolen as the makers of LiteSwitch X wants you to believe) working together making handling 15 windows a breeze.

Switching just applications I use Command-Tab, while having to do deal with multiple windows, Exposé is the cat's ass. Just a move of my pinkie and all my windows are available
It took me an hour to get myself used to using Exposé instead of my old hiding ways, but I love not having to hide things anymore and root out other windows.

Kudos to Apple for making such a wonderful feature, and hopefully it will only become better.
And I sure hope Microsoft copies it to make working on a Windows machine just that much more bearable.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Having been a Mac user for 1 week, Expose is the only OS shortcut I've learned and I love it.

At work, which is a windows environment, I typically have 6-7 Word Windows open, 4-5 Outlook emails open, 2-3 browser windows open, 1 PowerPoint, 1 Excel, plus Explorer and a few other miscellaneous apps. (All of which I use simultaneously.)

The taskbar is useless, since the application name comes before the file name -- meaning I can't tell at a glance which document is in which window. (7 taskbar buttons called "Microsoft Wor..." doesn't tell me much.) I can hover and wait for a tool tip to give me the file name, but that's slow.

Alt-Tab means I have to go through all the windows one at a time. It works, but I still have to flip through everything.

Expose lets me hit 1 button to see everything, then pick one window to switch to. It's so much faster. Plus it just looks damn cool.

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
With 2x22" screens at 1600x1200 there is a lot of real estate to get lost in. In a rather shall we say, active computing environment, Exposé is a life saver at times when something is buried 18 hours back in the work flow. Just a terrific piece of work. Also excellent in dealing with cluttered desktop, a carryover from OS9 that I am unlikely ever to lose.
Swish it's all there - then back again.
I just wish I could contro the radious of the trigger action as I'd like the action radius a bit smaller. A nit pick tho. :cool:

BTW I'd be lost with out my MS Explorer optical - my main apps are programmed to one of the 5 buttons and it becomes think/clik immeidate response - I could not tell you right now WHICH of those buttons does what, only that I think about the database and a finger reacts, or think about mail and another finger reacts.
It becomes completely automatic :eek:

It's funny as a staff will ask about which button for the database if he's working on it ( doesn't know about Exposé )and I have to take a moment to visualize yet if I'm on the mouse it's automatic.
I've used several Explorers and the lastest Wireless version has the best feel of any mouse I've handled yet - solid, comfortable and super easy to program in X or 9.

The Kensington Turbomouse trackball is also terrific for teh same functionality in app switching.

Interesting I just tried the default application switcher on the MS Office Keyboard and not only does it work well ( big rocker switch on the left hand side of the keyboard so easy to locate without looking but it pops and expanded dock image up that has on the left the app it is switching to and only the active apps shown. Never seen the "open apps only" dock before.
Can't show you a screen shot as it flashes up then is gone. Kind of cool as it's a big image so easy to visually indentify.

Okay I see Command/Tab brings it up but it rolls through - any way to bring it up and mouse click to the app??

Got it....command tab then release the tab to hold the oversized active app dock in place to allow mouse clicking an app.

Wonder if I can program the click/scroll button on the Explorer to do that. That way the apps I don't have preprogrammed I can still get to via the Explorer.
:D

Hmph sort of - still have to hit tab with my left hand to freeze the scroll through but better than having to do two keys

Oops just managed to screw up my keyboard fooling around :confused: BUT I can now open up the app/dock window and walk through the apps with the scroll wheel, just had to rock the wheel once after clicking and it then rolls back and forwrd through the apps - click again to choose one...yippee ( yeah yeah small minds.....) :cool:

[ November 04, 2003, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you ever tried pressing Alt-Tab in Windows?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Josh - I use the Alt-Tab on Windows all the time. But adding Exposé to Windows would make handling the windows much better then current alt-tab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts