Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to even try Beyond Meat or any other kind of fake meat being marketed by so many fast food joints now. You can even find it on grocery store shelves.

I have been trying to figure out just what they use to make the stuff and so far from what I have read, I would never choose the stuff as part of my regular diet.

But who do you believe as to what is in it, and is it safe for you to eat?

Have you tried this product and what do you think about it?

All opinions welcome.

Plant-Based Meat Ingredient Guide
Whatever you call them, there’s no doubt that alternative meats are skyrocketing in popularity. But take a look at what these foods are made from. Plant-based meat isn’t as healthy as you’d think. The Plant Based Meat Ingredient Guide exposes the most concerning ingredients in these heavily processed foods, and lets you see exactly which products you’ll find them in.
https://wellness.consumerfreedom.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42,489 Posts
I simply won't eat heavily processed food, and Beyond Meat is definitely that. Mostly derived from heavily processed peas. I walked into a Tim Hortons one day and saw two kids throwing their Beyond Meat burgers into the trash. A nice little steak is much healthier.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Out of mere principle I won't eat that crap. Add in the fact that, as MF notes, it's heavily processed and having seen the lists of ingredients before, fat chance, slim chance, no chance.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
Out of mere principle I won't eat that crap. Add in the fact that, as MF notes, it's heavily processed and having seen the lists of ingredients before, fat chance, slim chance, no chance.
Add me to that list. Propylene Glycol may be great in RV antifreeze but has no place in food. Ditto for most of the other ingredients.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
I understaand and agree that higly processed foods are not advisable; however, please do investigate who is behind this ad and this website. That will give you an indication as to who stands to gain or lose from these artificial foods and therefore the motivation behind this push.

By the way, Propylene Glycol is a sugar alcohol that is one of the two major ingredients in e-cigarette juices. Just because it is being used in e-cigarette juivcs does not therefore by default make it evil. The same might hold true for Methylcellulose. Anything Cellulose is indigestible fibre, basically plant fibres.

In case you were not aware, Propylene Glycol is also the major ingredient in laxatives. The use in E-cigs is merely to give you that throat-hit that you feel with real cigarettes.

The other major ingredient in e-cig juie is Vegetable Glycerin, which gives you the "smoke".

Of course you can add nicotine and other stuff like pot etc. And those two are the only harmful ingredients in e-cigs.

Please bear in mind, I am not saying this to give yo the impression that I am in favor of artificial meat; I am just asking you to keep an open mind and investigate more and then form your opinions.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I've tried them, and they taste impressively meat like. I'm not by any means a fan mind you; I don't intend to replace anything with it.

It begs the question to assume "real" meat is healthier than lab made alternatives. I'm waiting with bated breath on a rebuttal sponsored by the meat substitute industry highlighting some of the "horrors" that can be found in real meat and meat products, including antibiotics, hormones, nitrates and heavy metals. Point of interest; if you pick up a package of faux meat, you see it's constituent ingredients. A package of meat typically tells you what cut it is and how much it weighs, with no mention of what else might be in the meat by virtue of what was consumed by said product, or what it was treated with.

Of course there's always organic...

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I'm not at all interested in the fake food fad - just another marketing scheme by a corporation to sell products that they can convince consumers to purchase.

Still, TiltAgain is right on the money here - who is behind it?

Is it simply someone using the "scary" chemical names for compounds that play on society's fears (and lack of education or interest in learning anything beyond a meme headline)?

Ferric Phosphate, for example, has never been shown to cause toxicity in mammals, fish, etc. - it is only, apparently, bothersome to slugs and snails.

This all reminds me of the campaigns launched against Di-hydrogen Monoxide, which had the internet all a-flutter years back...

Dihydrogen Monoxide FAQ

What are some of the dangers associated with DHMO?

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

• Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
  • Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
  • Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
  • Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
I understaand and agree that higly processed foods are not advisable; however, please do investigate who is behind this ad and this website. That will give you an indication as to who stands to gain or lose from these artificial foods and therefore the motivation behind this push.
Hey, Tilt. 'Sup?

For me this is one of those occasions whereby I need to know nothing about the "who". In its most basal form, this is simply another thinly disguised effort to control humanity. I have zero desire to be controlled by anybody, especially the loony left.

If they want to go eat processed peas or insects or deep fried dog$h!t-on-a-stick, have at 'er.

Leave me, mine, my rare steak & BBQ ribs the hell alone.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
I'm not at all interested in the fake food fad - just another marketing scheme by a corporation to sell products that they can convince consumers to purchase.

Still, TiltAgain is right on the money here - who is behind it?

Is it simply someone using the "scary" chemical names for compounds that play on society's fears (and lack of education or interest in learning anything beyond a meme headline)?

Ferric Phosphate, for example, has never been shown to cause toxicity in mammals, fish, etc. - it is only, apparently, bothersome to slugs and snails.
Sorry but maybe it's a bit more sinister. Just spitballin' here but United Nations Agenda 21, rebranded as Agenda 2030, is printed out in black and white for any who choose to get their information outside of the lamestream. This is a big part of the globalist agenda and involves getting people out of rural towns and into cities. See us folks in small towns are difficult to control. We can grow our own food and most of us have firearms and can bring home our own meat. Plus telling someone with a firearm what to do can be real hazardous to the health of the messenger.

Thus we have the Alberta Government claiming it wants to improve rural police services but proposing to do so by dumping its share of the RCMP costs onto the municipalities. This of course means both higher taxes and reduced police presence for those of us in rural communities. Anyone with half a brain can foresee the cause and effect here. An effect of higher taxes and reduced policing could see least some small town dwellers to head for the big cities.

Of course herding people from rural to urban areas also means knocking out ranchers and smaller farms. Hence that need for fake meat.

Will leave the fake meat to you globalists. I'll be happily eating the real thing.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
See us folks in small towns are difficult to control. We can grow our own food and most of us have firearms and can bring home our own meat.
But for some reason they can't seem to pay for their own police. Liberty and free stuff, the Canadian dream. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
But for some reason they can't seem to pay for their own police. Liberty and free stuff, the Canadian dream. :lmao:

As I have said in the past we'll quite happily take care of the criminal types when we catch them. Sadly the RCMP does show up to arrest those who do.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
As I have said in the past we'll quite happily take care of the criminal types when we catch them. Sadly the RCMP does show up to arrest those who do.
My mistake then. I was poking fun at the topic due to multiple recent posts where your focus was on criticizing how small town Albertans would get less free money from the rest of the province, as they are accustomed to. Entitiled to their entitlements, so to speak. I forgot or missed the posts that described how they would be happy to pay for their policing costs if they got to define the relevant laws.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
My mistake then. I was poking fun at the topic due to multiple recent posts where your focus was on criticizing how small town Albertans would get less free money from the rest of the province, as they are accustomed to. Entitiled to their entitlements, so to speak. I forgot or missed the posts that described how they would be happy to pay for their policing costs if they got to define the relevant laws.

I said nada about paying for policing, only that we would happily do what was necessary to reduce criminal activity, we only ask that absurd legal repercussions be eliminated.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Hey, Tilt. 'Sup?

For me this is one of those occasions whereby I need to know nothing about the "who". In its most basal form, this is simply another thinly disguised effort to control humanity. I have zero desire to be controlled by anybody,

*SNIP*

Leave me, mine, my rare steak & BBQ ribs the hell alone.

Hey Champ :) All well here, expect the same with you.

Yes I agree with your view - I share it. Hence my warning not to get too caught up in what's obviously propaganda.

And re. the steak and ribs, hell yeah - don't dare touch my food :)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
In that case, it still sounds like liberty and free stuff.
Liberty yes, Hardly free. Still if you want towns to pay a large portion of the cost of stationing Mounties, be prepared for the quotas. Since there is no money to pay for it and small towns still have to avoid debt, an inevitable logical consequence would be a guantlet of speed traps near every town you drive by. That's how the towns would have to finance it.

·
Premium Member
42,489 Posts
Liberty yes, Hardly free. Still if you want towns to pay a large portion of the cost of stationing Mounties, be prepared for the quotas. Since there is no money to pay for it and small towns still have to avoid debt, an inevitable logical consequence would be a guantlet of speed traps near every town you drive by. That's how the towns would have to finance it.
Ontario towns don't need that sort of incentive to set speed traps.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Since there is no money to pay for it
The very common predicament of there being no money to pay for local police, yet other people in the province -- who are already paying for their own police -- are assumed to have the money to pay. Other people always seem to have enough money.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Beyond Meat dropped by Tim Hortons

In a statement to FOX Business a spokesperson for the chain, which is owned by Restaurant Brands International, explained the decision.

“We introduced a plant-based protein as a limited time offer and to test the interest of our guests in having this alternative available. Ultimately, the product was not embraced by our guests as we thought it would be. We may offer plant-based alternatives again in the future, but we have removed it from the menu for now.”​
I don't patronize Tim's so I could care less. That said, perhaps the average Tim's customer just isn't "woke" enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts