Three USB 2.0 Ports
PCI or PCI-X Slots
Optical analog In and Out

See for yourself @ Apple Store U.S

MacRumors also has it.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
A few things to remember here folks before you dismiss these specs...

1. What has Apple been working on for the last 2 years while the G4 stagnated in speed and irrelevant spec tweaking?
2. We all know the 970 was disigned FOR Apple
3. Serial ATA is the hot thing in the PC world.

The bottom line is this: Apple HAS to introduce something that will garner them the most press attention and they do this by going full bore on the specs. They have to, since they have become irrelevant in the eyes of the PC crowd. Apple has been biding their time with the G4 until the 970 was done to introduce the next generation Mac that will put us ahead again.

Also, don't forget, we still have Panther to look forward to and that one has been really secret as well.

I'm looking forward to this, its going to be huge.

·
Registered
693 Posts
hmm...i don't see anything on Apple's site...where is it, or have they taken it down already?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Well, that didnt take to long to take down, but the damage is done, whether real or not.

Hmmm
If this is a guy who works on the Apple site then he just kissed his job goodbye, unless it was either a hacker or a plot by Apple to generate excitement.
If it all turns out like this, then it will be a big deal this year for Apple

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
whoa , I just checked MacRumors and the specs they had posted a few minutes ago have been removed at Apple's request.

·
Registered
507 Posts
S-ATA/150 is not the 'Big thing' in the PC world. SATA-RAID only give us a glimpse of what SATA/300 could be like. I've been using a 160GB Maxtor S-ATA/150 drive in my PC months before it was available to the mass-market, and it's only marginally faster than ATA/133 IDE. The problem is that there's only one manufacturer that has a drive that is worth anything, and that's Western Digital with their Raptor 10K RPM S-ATA drive, but frankly, i've had crap luck with WD in the last five years and won't trust data to them.

If Apple goes for SATA, then great. But Jobs is typically a cautious man, and I'd be willing to bet that he'll go for SATA/300 once drives actually show performance benefits with Serial-ATA over IDE with big caches.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The RAM maximum is certainly possible, but I am doubt that will be a shipping amount.

The 8GB would only be the max on the top end model though, because as I recall, each PPC970 will have its own bank of RAM. So the Single machines would have a max of 4GB.

--PB

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Apple's not stupid, nor are their web guyz. IMO, this is 100% pure Apple marketing.

If you're quiet and listen, you can hear the buzz coming from your interenet connection. Just think how much press this "leak" will be. Interest in the WWDC will be even bigger now.

That's my 2¢.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
I am no marketing expert, nor do I participate in rumors (I shall be vindicated by the 19" PDAs and Segway combo deal), but you may be correct in your speculation, ehMax. Of course, this could have been done to deflect the speculations in a manner of Apple's choosing, rather than rumored "leaks". We shall see.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I don't know... I like to think of myself as the cautious type, but why would Apple close down their store temporarily just to remove their "marketing" ploy?

One would think that a deft, skilled and knowledgable Apple web technician could do it without impeding on the store's service. ;)

Anyway, if the specs are true... Daddy's getting a new tower to go with his new home, baby!
:eek:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'm siding with the calculated leak theory. How can you just mess up and upload?? :confused: I don't see it happening. Someone was going to be smart enough to pull the whole image down and post it again (or take a screen shot.. something). Of course they would create a big hoopla around it - I would... shutting down the store for a 'security breach'... having the cust serv people not commment on what was posted... Hell, within the circles that matter most to Apple, they achieved what they wanted: a good buzz. Look at all the NG activity... ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well I agree that it will create a buzz (and in the weekend papers to boot) but Steve has never had to rely on a tactics like that to generate press (think iMac).

Nope, this was a #$^* up (of Time Canada proportions). I just wish that there had been a pic of the new enclosure and details on the princing (not too long to wait though
).

The one thing I'm very surprised about is that there are only dual processors on the high end machine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Be interesting to see if ehMac gets its first "cease and desist" letter over the image from Apple legal. All the other sites are being told to pull the image _and_ the specs.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts