Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My office is giving up it's nice standards based (IMAP, webCal, LDAP) mail server, for Exchange 2007.

So life will be 'better' for Outlook users, but not so much for me.

My choices are:
1- Just use POP or IMAP in Mail.app. So no more shared Calendar or Contacts
2- Use an Exchange account in Mail.app, (not sure what extra this add to the above, even though it uses the OWA web interface and IMAP)
3- Convince the boss I need to spend over $600 to get Entourage (and Office)
4- Wait for Snow Leopard, and see how much better Mail.app works with Exchange 2007.

I'm thinking #1 (IMAP) initially then try Snow Leopard, but what are others using with Exchange 2007? What extra does #2 give you over #1?

Does anybody know if the Mail.app in Leopard will get an upgrade to have the Snow Leopard features?

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
My office is giving up it's nice standards based (IMAP, webCal, LDAP) mail server, for Exchange 2007.

So life will be 'better' for Outlook users, but not so much for me.

My choices are:
1- Just use POP or IMAP in Mail.app. So no more shared Calendar or Contacts
2- Use an Exchange account in Mail.app, (not sure what extra this add to the above, even though it uses the OWA web interface and IMAP)
3- Convince the boss I need to spend over $600 to get Entourage (and Office)
4- Wait for Snow Leopard, and see how much better Mail.app works with Exchange 2007.

I'm thinking #1 (IMAP) initially then try Snow Leopard, but what are others using with Exchange 2007? What extra does #2 give you over #1?

Does anybody know if the Mail.app in Leopard will get an upgrade to have the Snow Leopard features?
When you find out a way, can you tell me. I've been struggling to find a way to get Exchange 2007 to work with Mail. I have to ask IT to do IMAP or something I believe.

Doh!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Is your company hosting the Exchange server itself?

A lot of Exchange hosting providers offer a free license for Outlook or Entourage when you sign up for their service. Might be worth inquiring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
grubincan, I feel your pain :) It is nice to know though that are some clients that run on the Mac such as Microsoft's (yes Microsoft) Entourage. That would be your best choice for now unless you have an existing copy of Outlook and Windows you could run the application in Parallels for example but I think that's a little extreme.

I cant wait for Snow Leopard because it will have full Microsoft Exchange support :clap::clap::clap: GO APPLE!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
For reference in the future:

Exchange 2010 (now in beta) opens up a lot more with a new API (and MAPI support has been deprecated already) that will allow the MacBU to improve Exchange support in Entourage considerably.

The easiest method for now is to simply use IMAP, and see how Snow Leopard deals with Exchange - especially since Entourage doesn't have much better support for Exchange. (Not the Mac BU's fault)

·
Registered
56 Posts
For reference in the future:

Exchange 2010 (now in beta) opens up a lot more with a new API (and MAPI support has been deprecated already) that will allow the MacBU to improve Exchange support in Entourage considerably.
That's very interesting Chealion. Check this out everyone :) Microsoft Unveils Exchange 2010 With Public Beta: First in the next wave of Office-related products, Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 will help lower communications costs, improve user productivity and transform e-mail archiving.

The voice mail preview feature sounds interesting :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts