Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings one and all. I am typing this entry from my dining room table, with doxies running frantically about, in expectation of their dinner. This might not seem to be an event that is worthy of a new topic, but there is one item that I failed to mention -- I am typing this on MY NEW 14" iBook.

I am amazed at the ease of set up. I have yet to find out how to increase the font size, so I am having to type and read with a magnifying glass in hand. Thus, please excuse the shortness of this posting. More shall follow.

Now, Macspectrum can cease his chant (and keep his blood presure down to a normal range), Peter can again breathe, Chealion can again offer me assistance on how to increase the font, and Macnutt can get off my back. I NOW OWN AND USE A MAC. I even have a free .Mac account, although I haven't a clue what that is or entails. We shall see.

Thus, as the title of this post states, Excelsior -- ever higher. Paix.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
My word, Dr. G. I think there are heart attacks around the board. ;)

Dr. G - There are a few tricks you can do to increase font sizes. In Safari, under view, you can tell it to increase font size, and that should make it easier to post on ehMac for yourself. Also, one of my favorite features (It's a lot of fun to wow people with, especially after they've seen the Windows equivalent.) is the Zoom built-in through the Universal Access preference pane.

Open System Preferences, Click on the Universal Access preference, Click on the Seeing tab (since you have problems seeing), click the nice big button that says to turn zoom on. Then, when you press command, option and the + button (Right near the delete key) you zoom in on the cursor, and the - button right beside it zooms out. You can zoom quite a bit, but don't overdo it as once you go to far, you can get lost where you are on the screen.

Now with a Mac in your hands, you can even try out the ehMac Control widget
It has an option for a slightly bigger font, but it doesn't make that much of difference however. I should have it posted late tonight, after discovering several little inconsistancies I didn't like.

Congratulations Dr. G. I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

Dr. G - 4519 posts from a Dell, 1 from a Mac. And Counting.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
HOLY COW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Congrats Dr. G!!! I remember the set-up of my first Mac (also a laptop)...and it was a glorious day!

I look forward to following your exploits.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, Chealion, and for the encouragement, VGG, It is a learning experience for me, even though I have used an iBook and an iMac before, just not one of my own. Still, my son and I shall learn how to master the many wonderful ways of the World of Mac.

I feel like an explorer on a Safari, in search of the unknown in an unknown land. Maybe I should have entitled this thread "Terra incognita" -- "Unknown lands". Or, fittingly, "Terre-neuve" -- "Newfound land". Nous verons ce que nous verons.... We shall see what we shall see. Paix.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Wow. I think the Maple Leafs might win the Stanley Cup this year after all.
This is a Red Letter Day (RLD) for ehMac.
Dr. G, is this your first time using Panther?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congrats!
I just got my powerbook today myself damn its nice! Those iBooks though certainly are tempting!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you elmer and moonsocket. Yes, the last Mac that was actually my own had OS 6 (a Mac LC II). I have to go and help my wife cook supper, so I shall let the iBook "sleep". I tried this a minute ago, and there is a glowing white dot on the front that dims in much the same manner as one takes a breath when sleeping. I wonder how it knew my name, in that when I tried to leave it said "I am sorry Marc, I don't think I can allow that." I then hacked into the master drive to try and teach it the difference between "can" and "may". After supper I might try to teach it how to sing "Daisy, Daisy". We shall see.

I have the Newfoundland Symphony tonight (my wife and I are season ticket holders), so I shall have to leave the iBook in the care of the doxies. Does anyone know how to get a muddy paw print off of the trackpad? I was able to hook up my Logitech Bluetooth optical mouse which enabled me to stop using the trackpad (which I hate).

More to follow. This is starting to sound like a "blog".

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Dr. G., the enthusiasm among ehMacers you have created with this thread is a tribute to their admiration for you. Enjoy your new iBook, I certainly enjoyed mine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hello Dr G

I'll speak french it's better for your sight. :D

Bienvenue dans le monde de portables Apple, prenez-y le maximum de plaisir.

Translation : Welcome to Apple ladtops, enjoy and take max pleasure.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Well, I'll be darned. I never thought it would happen. Congrats!

And the Leafs win the Cup. Nah, that's way too far fetched. Elmer, wot you bin smokin?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Congrats Doc

So... you have been hanging around in a Mac forum, with TOUSANDS of posts under your belt -- and you were not a Mac user unttil today?! :eek:

WILD!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sinc, thank you for the kind words. I think that "admiration" might be overstretching it a bit, but your talents with the written word are reflected in your articles. Still, it is appreciated.

Merci, Fr Bertrand. I fear that your English is far better than my French, so I shall speak in the language of my youth -- NewYorkese. :D

Rob, to be honest, I had my doubts as well. I initially came to ehMacLand back in August of 2001. I had bought the July issue of MacWorld and saw the iBook (the first series of white iBooks), and it was love at first sight. However, as they say here in Newfoundland, "between the jigs and the reels", I have had my sight on the iBook, iMac, PowerBook, and actually ordered a 2GHz G5. Health problems forced my order to be sent to our Faculty of Medicine. My vision has not improved, but I shall be sharing this laptop with my 17 year old son, so his young eyes shall help us on our Safari.

Macaholic, I guess I have posted a few posts now and then here in ehMacLand. Still, no one seemed to mind.....not really too many complained.............only a few sent a "pointed" word my way...........but I guess, in the final analysis, the fine citizenry of ehMacLand either like New Yorkers, or Newfoundlanders/Labradorians, or even doxies, because I have been accepted as one of your own. Now the stray lamb has refound the fold.

I wonder how the doxie fur got into the combo drive?????????? :confused:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a test of my new signature. I guess once I send Macspectrum a picture of the iBook, the doxies and yours truly, that shall make it REALLY official.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A favor, please, from someone with a .Mac account. Might you send me a short note to [email protected] so that I am able to see if I could receive and send someone a message? Merci.

The range on this iBook is great. With my Linksys wi-fi router I could be in my neighbor's house and typing this to all of you.

For those concerned about the keyboard, it is great.
For those concerned about the heat, I have been on an hour and wonder "What heat?"
The battery went from 99% to it's current 80% in this hour with no sleep.

Registration with Apple was the only problem. They still have Newfoundland and Labrador listed as "NF" instead of "NL". Thus, it kept rejecting my info because it was inconsistent. C'est la vie.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Morning Dr. G., your .mac email is on the way.

It will be from"Plmnice" as "Sinc" was already used by another.

"plmnice" bny the way is the vanity license plate on my 1949 Meteor which is painted a plum color and I show the car under the name "Plum Nice".

Cheers,

Sinc

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Sinc. I shall have to go to that site now and return your message. Merci.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sinc, just received your message and sent off a reply. Might you let me know if you received it intact? Merci.

What features of .Mac do you utilize?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Morning Dr. G.,

Yes I received the post just fine.

As for my .mac account, I am in the process of learning about its many uses. I have only had it for a number of weeks, since I got my 12.1" Powerbook G4.

First I have learned to use it for storage. I uploaded a copy of all my music from iTunes to safeguard them from a crash.

Then I learned to use the Backup feature and have just a few days ago downloaded the new program to do so.

I have also toyed with a home page:

http://homepage.mac.com/plmnice/PhotoAlbum3.html

which I am afraid not very professional, but it did allow me to post some of my passions which include RV'ing, cars and photography.

Perhaps we can share learned knowledge as we go on .mac?

Cheers

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sinc, thank you for the message and the reply that it was received. Personally, my jury is still out re whether I shall sign up for this feature. We shall see.

I am not an RVer, but I love photography (your homepage pics are great, especially the waterfall), gardening, reading, urban hiking, teaching................and I tolerate dachshunds. My wife wants to breed them!!!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts