Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has a solution for me.....

I have a very long list of items in text edit in rtf format.

Copied that into an Excel spreadsheet using the paste text option

All looks great (I have done that many times before) but now I noticed that the single quotation mark ( ' ), whatever that is called, shows up as Õ in the Excel spreadsheet.

So I tried to use the replace function in Excel, but no matter what I do, Excel doesn't recognize the Õ character.

I tried typing it, it;s a capital O with a tilde.
I also copied and pasted the character and Excel still won;t recognize it as a character I want to replace.

Short of replacing the Õ manually with ' which would take hours, any suggestions what else I could try?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
You could try using the Code and Char functions to determine the character and then replace it.

Isolate your O with tilde so that it's the only letter in a cell, then use the code function to determine the ASCII number for the character.

Say your O with tilde is in cell A1. In another cell, enter the equation =Code(A1). The cell should display a number representing the ASCII number for the O with tilde character. Now use the Char function with the Substitute function. Substitute(screwed up text, Char(x), replacement text)
Where x is the number found using the Code function.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob,

Your instructions worked fine to find that the Õ is Char(239)

But when I then use Find Char(239) to replace it, I still get the message that Excel can't find a match.

In the meantime I tried to use the default paste rather than paste "text" into Excel and that worked, gave me the single quotation mark rather than the Õ.
Hopefully there are no other glitches when I check through the pasted spreadsheet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts