Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Have you Ever Sent A Mass Email By Mistake?

• Yes, and I wanted to kill myself.

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • No, I'm very cautious.

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Close, but I caught my mistake at the last minute.

Votes: 3 7.1%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a weird e-mail today. It was addressed to me and 276 other recipients. Thing is, it had NOTHING to do with me, I have no idea what this is all about, but I found it very amusing.

This didn't come through my work e-mail. It came through my HOME email.

Edited for privacy sake:

Unfortunately,
I need to cancel the meeting tomorrow as not everyone can make it. Can you confrim if you have time on Friday June 1 or Mondaym, June 4.

[NAME],
Can you confirm if the room is available for us for an hour that day?

I apologize for any inconvenience.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 10:44 AM
To: [RECIPIENTS]
Subject: [EVENT] logistics meeting

Are you available on Tuesday, May 29 at 2pm to meet at the Forum here at [ADDRESS] to discuss the logistics of the [EVENT] event on June 13. I would like to have all of you there to discuss the needs of our technical crew, catering and décor to make sure all the elements fall into place.

Thank you!
A few minutes later, I got:
The sender would like to recall the message, "[EVENT] meeting".
Ever send out a mass e-mail accidently?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
No, but I have received some like this email.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I've never sent a message by mistake. At work I sometimes have to e-mail thousands of students at once, and I've gotta be dang careful all the time. All addresses are in the BCC field, the message text is proofread to death, then proofread again, before I click send.

Some of my colleagues, on the other hand, have had little accidents here and there - and I have received some of those message recall er... messages. Tee hee.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Some years ago, before I became the mellow person I am now, I sent more than a few inflammatory emails to the entire staff. However, none of them were sent by accident.

I don't do that anymore, proving that even slow learners eventually get it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oh yeah. It gives me nightmares just thinking about it... :O

I was on an email-based forum or list for trombonists and one of my colleagues/friends posted a query about some book or text and it's availability. A couple of people responded before I did with questions as to why he would want such an outdated and basic book. I went with that thread and wrote a reply to him in ALL CAPS with a good dose of profanity thrown in for fun. You guessed it, I hit send...

It was rather embarrassing to say the least. Several of my colleagues were on the list. Lots of righteous/conservative individuals who objected fairly strongly to the language. It went worldwide too. It was a special moment in my life online early on in the existence of the www. I still cringe at the thought of that email.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I used to work for MicroWarehouse, which was a part of Inmac, the worlds largest mail order computer supplier (now owned by CDW). One of my co-workers, who was an idiot, used "Reply All" to generate his own email offering up concert tickets or something to what he thought was all of MicroWarehouse Canada. What he didn't realize was the email he used as a template in his laziness had been sent to all of Inmac's employees worldwide.

To make matters worse, in his infinite wisdom, he thought it would be useful to enable "notify me when recipients receive this email" and "notify me when recipients READ this email". I think there were tens of thousands of staff working for Inmac worldwide at the time. He received thousands of emails per minute for the first few minutes or so, all of them receipt and read confirmation messages. By the second or third hour, and for the remainder of the day, he was still receiving hundreds of messages per hour. He was still receiving those messages days, weeks and even months later as people worldwide returned from vacation, mat leave, etc. and finally got around to reading his email.

Needless to say, the Exchange administrator had a few words with him.

·
Registered
586 Posts
No, but about a year ago at my school two kids went on to a teachers computer and sent out a Mass E-Mail with some durty pitchers in it. It went to all of the staff in the school system. Then a few teachers by mastake (meny of them are not computer savy) replyed to all with out deleating the orignal message. The kids ended up getting supended for the remander of the year.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, but about a year ago at my school two kids went on to a teachers computer and sent out a Mass E-Mail with some durty pitchers in it. It went to all of the staff in the school system. Then a few teachers by mastake (meny of them are not computer savy) replyed to all with out deleating the orignal message. The kids ended up getting supended for the remander of the year.
Holy spell correction Batman! What kind of school are you attending?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts