Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've sold my old iBook, and I'm planning a li'l ol' upgrade to a Powerbook. While there are certain advantages to buying one here in the Great White North (especially their current offer involving portable Macs and iPods), I'm tempted by the strong dollar and lower sales taxes over on the dismal side of the border.

My question is, has anyone around here scooted across and picked up a Mac? Do you still get warranty coverage? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Okay, since no replies, I'll give some outdated advice, in my long-winded fashion...
I've purchased three Mac clones- UMAX S900's, and a few Powermacs from the U.S. over the years. I have a package holder in Blaine, Washington that calls me when a package for me arrives, charges a small fee, and is an actual US mailing address, not a PO box. Ordering from PowerMax, MacConnection, OWC, etc. works well, as I just choose a different shipping address from the billing address, and again, no PO box to cause problems on the web order. I saved in shipping costs, paid the GST at the border, and grinned like a butcher's dog because I only did it if I saved more than $200.00 all tolled. I'm one to two hours from Blaine Washington which made it all worth while. I've never needed warranty service, but have been told it would be honored in Canada.

Now, here's the other side...
I haven't done it since 9/11, and may not ever do it again. The border is a much bigger hassle now, and more importantly, buying locally (or in Canada) makes me feel better. The Americans really don't give a damn about our economic health, and every penny counts toward our well being as Canadians. I now buy Canuck computer products, don't sweat the increased cost (if it even exists now-a-days), and don't look back.

The softwood lumber fiasco may have had something to do with my change of tune. Among other things.
Sorry for rambling,

-GW

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
ShnickyShnack, if you did do that, you'd be tarred and feathered by ehMac members, kicked out and asked to join U-S-ehMac. :rolleyes:

Be a real Canadian... buy in Canada and support your local economy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But .... but .... it's cheaper! :(

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
It isnt cheaper if you buy from the usa and have it shipped to Canada.
Also, if you shop around or wait, you will find what you want at the price you want to pay.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow ehMax.... it's not like he's smuggling it in. He is paying the GST.

I don't see it as such a reprehesable thing to do. Especially for people who live so close to the border.

My problem is with how little you save. $200 (or less)... I'd rather spend the difference and get a local person's butt on the line for the service and follow up.

Apple could really lessen this occurance if they used dynamic currency conversion on their website instead of pre-set conversion rates.

People would understand the slight change in price if the dollar is fluctuating.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Um ... yeah ... not smuggling .... of course!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
How aboiut we create our own All Canadian Computer"

The Maple Computer?

WIth Back Bacon Applications a Beer OS?
LOL

I agree!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am going to have side with gwillikers on that last comment. For me, the softwood lumber issue did it for me when I was living out in Vancouver. Seeing all those people losing their homes, jobs etc....over something that should have not happened with NAFTA in place. Lately with SARS and Mad Cow disease the US border is really hurting us Canadians. I would rather support a local dealer here in Canada, then drive across the border, convert Canadian $ to American $, help out an American retailer with my $ and help out the State and government with taxes. When I see all those people in the lumber industry go back to work, and see our borders become what they should be, maybe I will think again of possibly buying something across the border.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Here is another ehMac thread for you.

And this rant of mine is worth repeating:
So as I read this thread I have come to believe that if I order from Apple.ca then Canadian's get the product but make none of the profits.

Call Apple.ca and talk to a Texan.... he gets paid,

Ship from California warehouse .... they get paid,

Shipper across the U.S. ... they get paid,

The only Canadian that made any money was the FedEx dude.

All those Canadian dollars waisted paying the U.S.

---
Authorized Apple Resellers over the past few weeks have been opening up Online Stores, Apple could be loosening there grip on selling online for Authorized Resellers. But I don't know the details.

The moral of this story, try to buy Canadian and even try to buy from your local Reseller that may soon be able to service the far reaches of Canada via the net. You are not doing Canada any favours purchasing direct.

Buying form an independant Authorized Reseller:

They employ Canadians,
They purchase from Apple Canada anyway
or they purchase form a Canadian distributor that employes Canadian,
The product is shipped from the U.S. but is then shipped to the reseller, shipping company employ's Canadian

All these Canadian companies in turn pay Canadian expenses like hydro, gas, telephone, TAXES etc.
They employ people to build building to warehouse and retail the Apple products, yadda yadda yadda.... you get my drift [rant].

Think before you buy.

The best price is sometimes the costly of all.

Enouph of the tar and feathers.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Take it up with Apple, not the end customer.

If people can save a few bucks on something that is already very expensive, they are going to do it.

Either live with it, or do something about it.

End users aren't making Apple sit on their ass over currency adjustments just so they have an excuse to buy their Mac in the US.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Yes, every single company adjusts their prices to reflect temporary fluctuations in the Canadian dollar. Its great, now that the Canadian dollar is doing well, you can walk into any Canadian Tire or Car shop and everything is 20% cheaper thanks to our strong dollar! Quick buy before the dollar sags again as the next day every company will raise their prices! :rolleyes:

If they don't, hey, let's screw your fellow Canadian and buy from the good ol U-S of A! :mad:

Oh and PS Trevor... start the incessant "Macs are too expensive" thing again and I'll be sure there is no Trevor 10.3. I'd rather eat glass and turpentine than hear your regurgitated arguments of your opinion that Apple should dumb down their products to appeal to joe-FutureShop and you oh so witty replies about Mac users are zealots.. blah blah blah blah.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
So is there an actual Apple Canada that a person could touch and point at? What exactly is Apple Canada? Is it some strip mall office between an H&R Block, and a TacoTime, with a few people shuffling warranty paperwork?

Perhaps I'm naive, but I thought buying from Apple Canada was helping some Canadians justify their jobs. Perhaps an Apple rep or two, a warehouse person, a delivery person, and perhaps one of those people working in that strip mall, who checked my name off, and filed my invoice.

What truly makes me wonder, is that an Apple guy from California called me yesterday to thank me for my G5 order, and to ask if I had any questions. I was so flabbergasted I didn't ask much of anything. I don't dislike Americans, but a call from a Canadian Apple employee would have been more appropriate. But the call was a nice touch in any event.

Since that call, I actually do wish I'd have given a preorder on a G5 to one of the local authorized Apple resellers.
Or, maybe, to just take up needle-point or lawn bowling, or some damned thing that costs very little. =)

-GW

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
[ July 04, 2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: gwillikers ]

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
On big ticket items... such as computers. Currency adjustments are done regularly because companies don't like to put themselves in double jeopardy.
Do people buy alot of automobiles in the US?
This is where you could save alot....

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I think we blew ShnickyShnack right off the thread...

ShnickyShnack, are you still there, are you still reading this thread. I don't mean to turn you off the thread or the forum, I just have a little passion for this subject.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
The only time I'd buy from the USA is if the product can't be found in Canada or will never be found in Canada, Or the product (In Canada) is too expensive and listed with a price that will never be discounted.

One thing to keep in mind though when you buy south of the border.

The USA ships to the US border and then the product is held by a brokerage company (You also have to pay the brokerage fees), Then the item is cleared through customs and shipped to the customer, The only trouble is that you end up (Depending on the shipper) paying twice for the shipping and then you pay the GST on shipping that you paid twice for and then you pay PST on the value.

A good example for a product that I'd buy from the States would be Digital camera filters, The Infrared filters are very expensive in Canada, But in the States they are so cheap that with the shipping they are still way cheaper than buying locally.
(That's if you can find them locally)

If you can...Buy Canadian...It's cheaper.

Dave :cool:

[ July 04, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts