Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Go watch the Keynote and come back again as to why he couldn't type as good!

The guys hands were shaking like crazy, he even admitted that they were because he was nervous. Man, some of you are hard on people ;)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
It was this guys first time on stage at a Keynote (I'm 90% sure he wasn't at MWSF) - he'd be nervous as hell. I know I would be. As MacGYVER noted, his hands were shaking, and he also said he was shaking.

Some people are too quick to judge...

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I've seen that guy on stage before...sometime in 2006 iirc.

Still, he was nervous and the typing pad on the iPhone didn't seem that bad.

Nevertheless, I have a sneaking suspicion that the iPhone is going to flop. Just a hunch, there seems to be a lot of style to it but I am not sure if it has the substance to compete against other competitors like the Blackberry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The iPhone will be safer to use than a Blackberry and I think it's targeted at a slightly different demographic. Both devices will find their niche. I don't see Blackberry users switching over to the iPhone rightly so because of the tactile keyboard.

The cellphone market is so large, Apple will likely kill the PDA market and the smartphones where heavy typing isn't required. The iPhone will do well... I see no reason it will fail.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SpicyApple - well said and I think you're right.

BTW to the other comments above - I watched the video again very closely and I don't see his hands shaking.

Secondly have any of you *seen* how fast you can type on a BlackBerry?
I can type about *50* words a minute without even trying - and on a Pearl to boot. And I'm not exactly the quickest one around by a long shot.
All I have ever seen demoed on the iPhone is "finger pecking" (one finger) and I'd guess thats about 3x slower. But if all you ever have to type is "seafood" then well...

Third thing - remember all we have ever seen demoed with the browser is WiFi. I think its going to be *slow* on EDGE. Why?
First you have to understand what happens on BlackBerry. When you surf - the blackberry _server_ squishes down and resizes images (transcode) from web pages so a) they will fit better on the small screen b) wont kill your data download.

In contrast with the iPhone there is no server to help! You are sucking down full images and transcoding on the unit itself! And while the screen is much wider its STILL a lot smaller than even that 15" iMac over there in the corner. So not only is there a lot more data to download but that transcoding is cpu (READ BATTERY LIFE) expensive.

Speaking about battery - the battery in the iPhone is not accessible, so if you run out of juice you are dead until you can get to a recharger. With most other phones you can carry another battery and you'll be up in 2 min. Of course with BlackBerry you never run out of battery so its a mute point :)

But the iPhone *is* beautiful and has raised the bar to which other handset makers will have to measure by in the domain of UI and design. But don't forget about the backend - the infrastructure (transcoding one example) and how important that is to the whole mobile experience.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Secondly have any of you *seen* how fast you can type on a BlackBerry?
I can type about *50* words a minute without even trying - and on a Pearl to boot. And I'm not exactly the quickest one around by a long shot.
Cough **BS** Cough.

Seeing how your average *fast* computer user can do about 40 wpm, and a standard typist can usually average 50-70 wpm, WITH ALL FINGERS ON A FULL SIZE KEYBOARD, I call BS on your 50wpm on a BlackBerry Pearl.

Words per minute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah, I have a Blackberry and my typing speed takes a major hit using it. I suppose if you weren't concerned about typos or proper sentence structure you can type pretty fast, but other than that its pretty slow going.

Trev

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think that many of you are missing the point. With the SMOOTH integration with apps like iCal and AddressBook (and through those to other apps like Daylite), and I believe integration with your Safari Bookmarks, the need to actually type a phone number or URL will be reduced.

Of course typing in URL's and emails will still need the typing ability. I was a Blackberry user in 2000 and it was amazing how many people said "how can you type on that thing?"

You learn to adapt.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Shaky hands

I'll throw in my two bits just to put the whole "I saw his hands shaking/His hands aren't shaking" argument to bed. You can't know how much it felt to him that his hands were acting impaired, video or otherwise.

I do a fair amount of public speaking, always feel at least a bit nervous about it, and always feel some degree of shakiness/tremor in my hands that will make me fumble a bit more than normal. To my audience, it isn't noticeable.

I have my students give presentations every year, usually it is their first time. Most report feeling like their knees were going to give out and their hands were shaking out of control. Yet I rarely perceive any evidence of this while watching from the audience.

Just like the rest of you I have no idea how well the iPhone's virtual keyboard works but can assume it isn't a match for a hardware keyboard. For most casual users the virtual keyboard may be a significant upgrade from the numeric keypad.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Nearly every new phone comes with voice dialing now. I don't even have to press anything on my K790A I can just wake it up with a voice string, and then say the voice command. I don't spend much time dialing commonly used phone numbers on my cell.

I suspect there will be room for a lot of voice commands on the iPhone.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Wow, been using it a whole month and still can't type well. I know people that have been using full size keyboards for YEARS and still can't type.

We will find out when it comes out how it does, and don't whine so much, ever hear of these companies they call 3rd party? If Apple doesn't somebody else will.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
iPhone Virtual Keyboard Review:
(from MDN)

One of the best reports we have so far is from Andy Ihnatko, for The Chicago Sun-Times, who spent 45-minutes with an iPhone, or about 40-minutes longer than most reporters, shortly after the iPhone was unveiled in January. Inhatko reported, " I think the iPhone's virtual keyboard is a huge improvement over the mechanical thumbpads found on the Treo and any other smart phones of its size."

Linky: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/13911/

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Cough **BS** Cough.

Seeing how your average *fast* computer user can do about 40 wpm, and a standard typist can usually average 50-70 wpm, WITH ALL FINGERS ON A FULL SIZE KEYBOARD, I call BS on your 50wpm on a BlackBerry Pearl.

Well I'm sorry you have to stoop to name calling, but I just tested myself a few times typing "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" as many times as I can in 30s and I can accurately do +25 words in that 30s. Of course if the sentence contains lots of non alpha chars like parenthesis etc it will slow down. BTW once you let it work for you, SureType absolutely rocks.

FYI there are others who claim up to 70 WPM on a (qwerty) blackberry - see here
BlackBerry Forums Google Cache I believe this page was posted by those in the deaf community who use BlackBerry as their weapon of choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.