Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, my backup disk is full and to be replaced.
Do I have to destroy it or can I just erase it and recycle it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Are you planning to reuse it yourself? If so then yes you could simply erase and use as needed. If you are tossing it out I would zero out the hard drive a few times. This just makes sure data is not retrievable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fine. How do I erase it?
When I try by putting any file in the trash, I get a message that any file in the backup disk cannot be modified (or erased).
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Fine. How do I erase it?
When I try by putting any file in the trash, I get a message that any file in the backup disk cannot be modified (or erased).
Am I missing something?
You would use disk utility and reformat the drive. This will erase everything. Make sure anything you want to keep is backed up elsewhere. That being said, if you are using Time Machine for your back up it should just erase the oldest backups to make way for the new so you would not need to buy a new back up drive.

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
Make sure you have turned off permissions on the volume you wish to erase.

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
What are those?
Right or control click on the icon of the drive. Select "Get Info". At the bottom of the window is a check box to ignore permissions. If it is greyed out you will need to click on the little lock and enter your password to unlock the volume before you check the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts