Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Epson Printer "Mismatch between the paper type..."

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  pm-r 
#1 ·
Bought a new Epson ET-2720 printer which features a small message display. Any time I select photo paper for printing, the Epson print utility tells me: "Mismatch between the paper type settings on your computer and the printer." The printer then refuses to print because of the "mismatch."

I called Epson for clarification and their explanation, as best as I can understand, is that I have to first choose the paper type through the print utility on my computer, and then choose it again using the printer's physical panel. I asked them why the printer is expecting any type of paper at all and they could not answer. They explained that by selecting "over-ride" I can force it to print. That does work, but seems a terrible solution.

Normally, these types of problems are easy to solve because you can simply search for the error message online. This message appears once on Google search.

Any insight appreciated.

#2 ·
I guess I am used to this sort of thing being in print. When preparing a file for my wide format printer or any of our digital printers at work you start by setting the file for the paper you intend. For simplicity sake let's say I am printing on a gloss text paper. I set the file for printing on "glossy text". Now the printer will not print this on anything but what I intended it to. So if my printers have "uncoated text" in it the file will not print and will ask for the right paper to be loaded. The idea is the file is processed for the desired output media. It is going to print different if the stock is coated or uncoated. Same goes for my wide format, I do not want to print a file I set for canvas on a silk stock.

I do not know the printer, I have not had a desktop printer in ages as I use our digital presses for anything I needed printed. When you load paper does it not ask you what paper you loaded? I would think that when you load paper it will ask you to confirm it is regular paper or give you an option to select a different paper type. They need to match on both ends.

#3 ·
FWIW I usually do it the opposite; select the paper type when I load the paper on the printer (it asks me when I replace the tray what kind of paper it is.) Then select the paper type when printing.

Although, I don't have a ET-2720 but rather a MFC-7480, so it never seemed strange to me; it would select the appropriate tray depending on the paper type I selected, which was convenient.

Seems odd if there's only one tray though.

#5 ·
Same idea, they just need to match on both ends. On my large digital press I would load paper first, then when setting up the job the paper loaded would always be at the top to select, much easier then scrolling through the massive paper catalogue I have,.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. This is a one-tray unit, but the display is so tiny I may be missing some sort of message when I insert the new paper. Will check more carefully.

#7 ·
Normally, these types of problems are easy to solve because you can simply search for the error message online. This message appears once on Google search.

Any insight appreciated.

I don't know if the OP's Epson printer/paper mismatch problem still exists, but considering it has been resurrected with a new post recently, it seems that there are a few more hits to maybe review and see if any of the suggestions fix the problem, assuming it's still exists. Have a look here:

- Patrick
=======

#8 ·
Bought a new Epson ET-2720 printer which features a small message display. Any time I select photo paper for printing, the Epson print utility tells me: "Mismatch between the paper type settings on your computer and the printer." The printer then refuses to print because of the "mismatch."
I had same problem with HM M553, but I found solution. My printer is connected to ETH and in web browser i typed printers IP addres and get control panel. On Device status page there is media info in bottom part where are listed trays and size and pyper types for each tray. Under this is link "Change settings"; click and change paper type to Any type.

Best regards.

#9 ·
I had same problem with HM M553, but I found solution. My printer is connected to ETH and in web browser i typed printers IP addres and get control panel.

That is an interesting fix for your problem, but I don't know if the OP's Epson ET-2720 printer is networkable which I believe is necessary for that method to work, and by the way, welcome to ehMac.ca forums.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

- Patrick
=======

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.